dooday24

any ideas welcome please

hi all

was wondering if anyone could help took reece to optitions yesterday..

he wasnt very happy to be there didnt speak to her at all she did do a couple of things like looking in his eyes ect and found hes long sighted

so as she didnt get a full test done she is giving him glasses to wear 4 3 months as hes getting really bad headaches

but he is adament wen we get them next week he isnt goin to wear them!!!

any ideas please

love donnaxxxx

This is really difficult, isn't it donna. Jay had to start wearing glasses when he was 10 and he was really, really unhappy about it. He'd got so used to seeing the world as he was used to seeing it, that when he put on his new glasses and everything was suddenly crisp and clear he found it very frightening and disturbing. He also was convinced that everyone was staring at him and that they'd notice he had new glasses. At first he just had to wear them for watching telly and reading the blackboard and he wouldn't wear them 'out and about', he was very self-conscious and preferred the outside world to be a bit blurry, I think. We used to keep on pointing out people in the street who were wearing glasses, especially children. I'd say, look at that little lad, he's got glasses, just like yours, etc. I'd also point out things that I knew he wouldn't be able to see very well, so he got the idea that actually wearing his glasses was helpful to him and he gradually came around and now he wears them all the time.

Does the optician think that the headaches are related to his sight? It's just that Jay is a migraine sufferer, they developed when he was about 8 or 9 and have nothing to do with his eyesight. Wearing glasses or not wearing them makes no difference to his migraines. Might be something worth checking out with the doctor, especially if he is vomiting with them.

~ Mel ~

thanx mel they r not sure wether the headaches r related to him needing glasses so they r goin to try it for 3 months to see if it makes a difference... no he dosnt get vomiting with them thanx again for the ideas will try them

love donnaxxxxx

reece got his glasses last saturday has worn them for a total of about 2 hrs since :(:( dosnt like the pressure on his nose

liove donnaxxxxx

Edited by dooday24

It does take a lot of getting used to, yep. Maybe he could just wear them for watching telly at first or something like that and build up gradually.

~ Mel ~

hi we were the same and what i did was i didn't push things with my babe who is ten years old and has been wearing his glasses for a year.my littly is short sighted and we let his glasses do the talking.my babe has to wear his new eyes all the time.he calls them his new eyes......lol......and after a few weeks he got used to them.be prepared to go back and forwards to the opticians for repairs to the glasses.in scotland we are entitled to three pairs a year.i asked for all three to begin with and i got very plain gold frames .to be honest the only problems have been Louis chewing the legs off his glasses and he has also poped the glass out of the glasses...aye we need to be extra patient us asd parents.....good luck pet millions of kids find out they have to wear glasses and im sure he will be ok in the end once he realises he can see better.make sure his teacher understands he is going to be sensitive.i think every single child is different in how they cope but being a calm mum will help..try saying positive things like you will see you nintendo ds better. and you will get a better score...you will win on the wii....or you will be more able for the PlayStation..i say to louis with his new eyes he will be top of the class soon...lol...love noogsy

Edited by noogsy