FKlama

7th Week at new University

I registered a while ago, but have not posted for a while.

I am now in my 7th week of my Master by Research course here at the University of East Anglia.

But I still do not know anyone here. I have a few friends back in Germany which I meet daily in an IRC channel.

I wish I had someone here in Norwich, whom I could talk to, because if my internet connection where to break down for any reason... ...it would be a disaster...

Hi Fklama

I understand how hard it is to make friends, are there any groups you are interested in that you could join? That might be a good way of meeting people - sorry i dont have many ideas.

Brooke

I take it that you find it difficult to make friends in which case I think brooke's suggestion is a good one. If you put friendships in the site search I think this is a topic that comes up on a regular basis.

My son has just finished university and I think his existence was also a lonely one, when he did go for a drink with the "lads" they never turned up nor did he get any explanation. However on his Graduation day all the "lads" came up to him to ask how he was!

Back in Germany I had a small group of people that I would meet once or twice a month. Either to play games (strategy or card games mostly) or some tast to do with the server (I coown a server with two of them).

Sometimes I could just sit in a room with one of them, without talking. But somtimes we would talk for hours. I kind of miss that I can be in a room with someone, without talking.

I guess my main probem is that I am way to advanced on most of my interests, or the interests are just to uncommon, to find someone I can relate to.

I am very interested in computers, but I use Linux and OSX. My main topics of interest in that field are network security (how to secure computers and protocols on a network and how to get past these security measures {no I do not break into other peoples computers ;) }), non-x86-CPU architectures and several small 'projects' (these change frequently though). Right now the small projects are: learning GNU Octave and VoIP / asterisk.

The main problem seems to be that the density of people that I can really have in interesting conversation with seems to be extremely low. So I would have to find some place or event where this density is much higher.

But as far as I know there is no 'Hacker' Club here at UEA (like the CCC spinoffs in Germany). I went to the local MacUserGroup, but the conversations there seem to be quite 'low level'.

As my transfer to Mensa UK is probably complete soon, I will try to contact some Mensans here in Norwich. I had good luck with Mensa in Germany, and the density of 'interesting people' seems to be a lot higher in Mensa...

Is that your cockatiel?

Yes. He had to stay in Germany though, because:

1. No pets allowed in accommodation
  2. Beurocratic difficulties bringing a 'parrot' into the UK

:(

Edited by FKlama

Awwww >:D<<'> You must miss each other.

Not really.

I lose touch with anything that is more than a day away.

It would also be quite cruel if I hat brought him here. Cockatiels need to live in groups (even if it is only a Group of two).

I never missed my parents after the first day when I was at bording school as a child.

Hi, I'm in Norwich though I don't share any of your interests. There is an adult asperger group that meets every 2 weeks, I know some of the members are into computers, not sure if they'd be at your level though, but might be worth a try. Pm me if you'd like some more info.

Hi, I'm in Norwich though I don't share any of your interests. There is an adult asperger group that meets every 2 weeks, I know some of the members are into computers, not sure if they'd be at your level though, but might be worth a try. Pm me if you'd like some more info.

Great, I am planning to go to the next meeting.

Maybe I will see you there.

That's this week then. I haven't been for a while but will make the effort to come and say hello. Any way I can recognise you? I know there have been several new members and I'm rather quiet there so haven't met all of them yet. There aren't many females there so you shouldn't have a hard job finding me! What are you doing your Masters in? Hope to start a Masters next year with the Open University (finances permitting). I learnt german for 7 years, did it at 'A' level and in my degree. Wouldn't be very good with it now though, lost lots of vocabulary :rolleyes:

That's this week then. I haven't been for a while but will make the effort to come and say hello. Any way I can

recognise you?

I will be early, have a MacBook and an iPod Touch with me (my constant companions) and a yellow couriers bag.

I know there have been several new members and I'm rather quiet there so haven't met all of them yet.

I hope there are not too many people there...

What are you doing your Masters in?

Chemistry, more specifically Physical Chemistry in the field of solid-state NMR.

.oO( I play around with the magnetic moments of atomic nuclei )

See you tonight then...

Frederik

Hi, nice meeting you :D Hope you managed to find at least one kindred spirit. That was the first time I didn't run out of the room. Hopefully I'll go to the next meet as there were some new female members I didn't get a chance to speak to.