Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Adult Ear Defenders

Does anyone have any experience of using ear defenders for sensory overload with adults or older children? I'm thinking of the same defenders available for younger children (the pink and green ones) as the company make adult sized ones. What 'strength' would be most appropriate, balancing need and weight (they seem to come in 3 strengths)? At the moment I use ear plugs which can work well at lower noise levels but not at higher noise levels and I find them an irritant. If I have to wear them all day, I find I then claw them out when I'm sleeping which is affecting the quality of my sleep. I wonder if having ear defenders during the day (I'm thinking actually in my room) and ear plugs at night (and both together if necessary, for instance when there's a halls party) might make things more tolerable? :unsure:

Hi, the only experience I have is when my boy was a pre-schooler and he had a real fear of noise............engine noise, hand drier noise etc...........they helped alot with the unexpected sounds, now he,s older I think he,s more de-sensitised to it, noises still bother him and drain him, he uses an i-pod and his specs from Ian have helped too.I,d give em a go :thumbs: ,suzex.

Thanks Suze >:D<<'>

My Ian specs help a little, though they've become really ineffective recently :( I'm just trying to come up with anything vaguely sensible that might be worth a try - but because I'm going to have to convince my disability witch of their need financially, I really need some first hand experience that it's worth trying.

For those of you whose kids have them, do they work? :unsure: They would be the same, just an adult version and not bright pink :lol: (not blue, either, unfortunately :()

Mumble we use them here for M and although they don't block out all the noise they make it tolerable for him.He has a red pair from the builders workgear shop which only cost �3.50 but I'm thinking of getting him a pair of military issue ones *he's obsessed with army stuff* You can often find these on Ebay.

Dee XX

Thanks Deedee - I'd looked at possibly getting some from a builders' type place, but then I thought, if I'm going to give them a really good try, I ought to get the *proper* ones. Just wondering how successful they might be. I don't want to be fobbed off with an alternative if there is something that could work in specific circumstances.

I just want something that's comfortable to wear for long periods, indoors, whilst I work, that really helps and allows me to concentrate and might stop me getting so distressed by the noise made by other students :(

i use peltor rally practice headsets which are electronic noise reducing sometimes at home and i used to always use them in my car until police told me off. my current car isnt so noisey but my rally car used to make me dizzy and sick from the engin noise on motorways. that car is gone but i kept headphones :lol:

peltor are the market leader for ear protection but they are expensive! my headdsets were run through an intercom unit at �85 and each headset was jusr over �100. they do stand alone headsets for builders etc.

is there nothing specific for autism or people with certain ear conditions??

:robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

is there nothing specific for autism or people with certain ear conditions??

Not that I can find. The company you mention is the one I was going to try. They make ones for children that I know parents with autistic kids use, so I thought that would be a good place to start. I'm not intending paying for them myself, going to ask my disability officer - after all, the reason I need them is that the uni can't provide me with suitable quiet accommodation, so they need to provide some other way of responding to my needs.

after all, the reason I need them is that the uni can't provide me with suitable quiet accommodation, so they need to provide some other way of responding to my needs.

a 1 bed studio flat?

a 1 bed studio flat?

At London prices? Nope, I looked into that - even in not such nice areas (oh yeah, I remember, that's where I am now ... :lol:), which then brings in all sorts of other issues, it's well beyond what I can afford on my studentship, once you take bills and everything else into consideration. And there are also different support issues then, too.

Ever since the really frightening experience of the fire alarm going off in my room, I have worn earplugs at night when sleeping. They do not block out all noise but are as much a psychological 'piece of mind' thing' to have in possession. However, I might look into more expensive and consequently better quality defenders.

I'd say try and invest in something better but dont go overboard on the spec.

Ever since the really frightening experience of the fire alarm going off in my room, I have worn earplugs at night when sleeping. They do not block out all noise but are as much a psychological 'piece of mind' thing' to have in possession. However, I might look into more expensive and consequently better quality defenders.

I'd say try and invest in something better but dont go overboard on the spec.

Thanks Chris. Fire alarms - I still have a bump on my head from ages ago when I was enjoying a fairly peaceful moment in halls and sat on my bed catching up on some reading and the alarm went off and the involuntary jump my body did made me smash my head against the wall. :(

I do worry about other students' hearing (or drunken states :drunk:) if the alarms need to be that loud to wake them up :unsure: I always wear ear plugs to sleep because there's often a lot of noise overnight, and if the alarms go off, they still sound really loud with the plugs. You're right that they don't block out all noise (at all) but they do help, so long as I'm not pulling them out because they've got uncomfortable. I think I'll try a pair of ear defenders for daytimes and see how they work out. Now to find the right words to convince my disability support of the need ...

At London prices? Nope, I looked into that - even in not such nice areas (oh yeah, I remember, that's where I am now ... :lol:),

I was more thinking the uni should be paying if they are failing to meet your needs especially if theyve got a policy on helping people in your situation.

I was more thinking the uni should be paying if they are failing to meet your needs especially if theyve got a policy on helping people in your situation.

Sounds nice, doesn't it? And the uni even have some really nice small studio flats that would be perfect for my needs - but out of my price range. If they could help me afford one of them, I think the majority of the problems would be solved (and could even work out cheaper long term in terms of them not having to fund patches and interventions when things don't work).

A policy - no they don't have one, which is one of the problems. I picked up the latest copy of the disability guide last week for interest - no where, at all, are ASDs mentioned (most unis mention ASDs in their guides - I've looked at several - even if it's only a passing reference). It hardly makes me feel valued.

thats a bit stupid thier own studio flats are out of the price range of students!! Or are they ment for rich spoilt kids paid for by daddy??

Is does seem daft that ASD's are not covered when its a registered disability for many.

thats a bit stupid thier own studio flats are out of the price range of students!! Or are they ment for rich spoilt kids paid for by daddy??

Oh yes, and believe me, we have lots and lots and lots of rich spoilt kids here. The flats I would like, which seem perfect (small studio, intended for individuals only, just 4 flats, all own doors, walking distance to uni, self-clean - I do cleaning (:rolleyes:), really close to the library, 'OK' area) are �250 a week, plus bills. As much as I would love to live there, and it would solve so many of the issues I have, I simply can't afford that :( I would struggle to afford half of that :(