EmmaB

Whats difference between Aspergers and ASD?

Is there actually a difference? After our meeting last week and my brain seeming to catch up with everything I recall the Psychologist kept referring to Aspergers instead of ASD. Now we have discussed ASD in the past, but I get the impression he doesn't like the "term" and prefers Aspergers, which is what dd was original referred for.

But one of the characteristics I seem to recall about Asperger's children is they tend to speak early, which is something dd did not do! Infact she still has speech problems today. And so I have sort of written Aspergers off in my mind.

So is there a bit difference? And if so what is it?

thanks

Hi Emma,

This is a conversation we have a lot here :)

Here is a post about it from last year, which talks about the same thing: http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0&start=0

I'm certain there was a more recent one, but I can't find it right now.

Hope this is helpful anyway. T x

Thank you, I did wonder if it has been discussed before! I would imagine it is a subject which is not really so black and white.

Off to read....

Waves to Emma :)

I have always understood that the difference between High Functioning Autism and Aspergers is whether speech developed appropriately during the early years, something like 2 words at 2 years and sentences at 3 (would need to double check that, it's in the diagnostic criteria I think).

My son is diagnosed with both - because it was unclear whether his early speech problems were relevant, at the time we'd declined speech therapy as (we were totally ignorant back then!) his speech wasn't the problem in our eyes. He still has speech problems, can be difficult to understand and has a stammer that comes and goes and is severe when it's there - but apparently fits the 'Asperger profile' better.

I tend to think AS and HFA are pretty much the same and I would usually use the word 'Autism' to describe ds#1 as 1)most of the general public still don't seem aware of Aspergers and 2) if they have heard of AS they tend to think of it as 'mild' and expect only a slightly quirky child but still whereas ds has huge difficulties. I describe his as having Aspergers to people who know their stuff!

Hi EmmaB,

Can't really offer any explanation for you - but I've also been confused over this myself.

Our daughter's letter from CAHMS actually says that she has been diagnosed with ASD and that Aspergers best describes her difficulties. She had no speech delay.

Take care,

Jb

Interesting topic, I imagine that ASD is like a sort of umbrella word for all the different types of autism from one end to the other, I believe it sums up quite well, that whilst some people have the same dx, say aspergers, everyone is an indiividual and has different expereinces/feeling etc of being on the spectrum and could be seen as less than a label which some people jump to conclusions on, such as you are aspergers so you must be x y or z. (hope that sort of makes sense, I know what I am trying to say :unsure: )

Clare x x x

Hey Emma,

again, I find this confusing but it does appear to be a language- centred differentiation that defines AS from HFA. I must say, that this is one of the few dx criteria that fits my son perferctly! A round peg in a round hole at last!! :) He started speaking REALLY early, I think he was 8 months when he said his first word, and by the age of two he was extremely fluent, knew his directions, colours and could count up to ten. The health visitor didn't believe me (do they ever???) and was stunned when Cal demonstrated! Funny thing is, when his behaviour deteriorated, he lost these skills- it took years for him to get back to grips with left and right!

Anyway, I digress...(I am rather good at that!!! ;) )

Found this link, if I can get it to work, not that I agree with all of it but then my lad has never been one to fit his dx well!!

http://www.autism-explained.com/autism-vs-aspergers.php

Hope that helps!!

Esther x

Ooh,quick edit, also found this one that I like a bit better!!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-Th...m&id=666875

Edited by pookie170

Waves to Emma :)

I have always understood that the difference between High Functioning Autism and Aspergers is whether speech developed appropriately during the early years, something like 2 words at 2 years and sentences at 3 (would need to double check that, it's in the diagnostic criteria I think).

My son is diagnosed with both - because it was unclear whether his early speech problems were relevant, at the time we'd declined speech therapy as (we were totally ignorant back then!) his speech wasn't the problem in our eyes. He still has speech problems, can be difficult to understand and has a stammer that comes and goes and is severe when it's there - but apparently fits the 'Asperger profile' better.

I tend to think AS and HFA are pretty much the same and I would usually use the word 'Autism' to describe ds#1 as 1)most of the general public still don't seem aware of Aspergers and 2) if they have heard of AS they tend to think of it as 'mild' and expect only a slightly quirky child but still whereas ds has huge difficulties. I describe his as having Aspergers to people who know their stuff!

Waves back :)

Is HFA the same as ASD? And saying he has Autism is the same as saying he has ASD? Again I always thought actual Autism was quite severe, whereas ASD not so. Sorry Im asking quite difficult questions I think!

Dd did have a speech delay and still struggles with Expressive speech and has word finding difficulties.

I must admit I have described her as having ASD in the past to people as then people seem to immediately accept that it's perfectly normal for a 5 year old to be jumping up and down, up and down, up and down or running round and round on the spot! Perhaps they would not understand so much if I said Aspergers - does make you think.

I'm wondering if dd does fit into AS more than ASD, her main struggle is with the social side of things, educationally she is average which was shown when they tested her IQ, although they suspect her speech problems are holding her back. She also scored superior on one visual test, which really shocked them!!

Thanks for all you help, this is all making me really think.....

Found this link, if I can get it to work, not that I agree with all of it but then my lad has never been one to fit his dx well!!

http://www.autism-explained.com/autism-vs-aspergers.php

Hope that helps!!

Esther x

Ooh,quick edit, also found this one that I like a bit better!!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understanding-Th...m&id=666875

Thanks for the links, off to have a read!

Waves back :)

Is HFA the same as ASD? And saying he has Autism is the same as saying he has ASD? Again I always thought actual Autism was quite severe, whereas ASD not so. Sorry Im asking quite difficult questions I think!

Dd did have a speech delay and still struggles with Expressive speech and has word finding difficulties.

I must admit I have described her as having ASD in the past to people as then people seem to immediately accept that it's perfectly normal for a 5 year old to be jumping up and down, up and down, up and down or running round and round on the spot! Perhaps they would not understand so much if I said Aspergers - does make you think.

I'm wondering if dd does fit into AS more than ASD, her main struggle is with the social side of things, educationally she is average which was shown when they tested her IQ, although they suspect her speech problems are holding her back. She also scored superior on one visual test, which really shocked them!!

Thanks for all you help, this is all making me really think.....

Just seen this!

My understanding is ASD is the same as autism. As Aspergers criteria specifies no speech delay I don't know if she could be diagnosed with Aspergers (it may differ between different consulatants?) as she's had speech problems? However the Autistic Spectum covers all children which includes Aspergers and classic autism and there is room in the middle for children who don't fit AS or classical autism. HFA is pretty much the same as Aspergers but would include children who have had a speech delay.

Hope you get some answers soon. x

My son was diagnosed with ASD, and I was told that years ago when it was just autism my son would have been at the end of autism, close to the cut off point (late speech, learning differculties, IQ 70 or lower). But now the spectrum has been lengthened with aspergers being at the other end, so my son is right in the middle. They drew me a diagram and everything, I found it very interesting.

Edited by purplehaze

I think it's simple and straight forward. Aspergers is an Autism spectrum disorder, as is HFA and kanners etc.

Flora