Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Anxiety Medication

I've been thinking about this a long while and recent events have really brought home to me how anxious I am generally and how then things that might make some people a little anxious send my anxiety levels so high I really can't function and all my self-help skills become non-existent.

So having talked this through with my OGB psych and mentioned it before with the GP, decided with the GP today that it was right now to try medication to control my anxiety.

I feel so weird now though. Kind of like I've failed :tearful: because I couldn't cope with a bit of stress and anxiety. Is this a normal way to feel? And what happens long-term? Stupidly I'm more worried about what happens if meds work for me - and where it leaves me in my pretence at being 'normal' :tearful::(

Mumble,

It doesn't mean you have failed just that you need a little extra help. It may be the case that you only need to be on them for a short period of time. All the extra stress with housing issues and trying to sort things out probably isn't helping either. What you are dealing with at the moment would cause anyone a great amount of anxiety. >:D<<'>

J

Hi, I felt like that when I was pre-scribed anti ds...........I,d got to the stage where I was getting too nervous to leave the house , and OCD behaviours were having an impact too, the medication has helped me relax and take the edge off the stress and anxiety I was feeling.............the dosage has been up and down but my dr thinks this is a long term thing so I,m sticking with it.I know your problems are different to mine , but don,t feel a failure >:D<<'> ............we all need a little help sometimes and you can take it a step at a time with guidance from your doctor, best wishes suzex.

Mumble, if you needed medication for diabetes, would you feel like you had failed? There's no difference. A lot of people struggle with anxiety, but the world can be confusing to us, and our one-track minds often make it a considerable problem for us. But it's very common way to feel.

There are lots of different types or medication for anxiety. Not everyone responds to the first one they try. People with autism often respond best to very LOW doses. If you find they don't help, it may be worth considering that before giving up on that altogether.

Some people need meds long term. Others even need them lifelong. There is not much point taking them for less than 6 months, even if you feel better sooner - it's often only because of the drugs that people feel better that quickly.

It's also very common to fear getting better. When this is what you know, being different feels scary. But recovering won't change your personality, just make it easier to cope with things. You probably won't even notice straight away because it will be gradual.

Anxiety is a way of life for me , and I would only feel I'd failed if I didn't address this . I take anti-d's for anxiety , they don't help with the depression but they do take the edge off the anxiety I experience. I know this for sure because I stopped taking them for a while and the physical tension I experienced was horrendous and led to increased feelings of anxiety because I felt on edge all the time. I have asked for dd1 to be referred back to camhs as I'd like to discuss meds for her. She doesn't exhibit things in the way I expect but I think meds may benefit her and are worth a try. Dd2 suffers from high anxiety too and she actually asked me yesterday if there was something she could take for it.

You certainly haven't failed. Hope you find something that helps soon. >:D<<'>

Hi Mumble - I agree with Tally re thinking about it like you need medication for something like diabetes or thyroid - you'd just take it and not think about it.

It is hard to accept sometimes though - I still struggle with taking anti-ds at times and I've been on and off them since I was 17 - but its just one of those things I guess. Some of us need a little extra help than others!

((hugs)) Hopefully they'll help though.

Lynne x