Sign in to follow this  
sarah73

Just starting DLA application

Hi, i'm just an aunty of an 11 year old child recently diagnosed with Asperger's. He has a classroom assistant who supports him individually. I think that he would have a high IQ, and that this might go against him recieving DLA. He's been allocated a place in a local Asperger's unit that's within a mainstream high school. He finds it hard to control his anger and emotions and has been offered anger management. We're just on the foothills of filling in the DLA application form. There are school statements that we can photocopy and put in with the application. Bit of a wide question at this stage but just wondered if there are any tips and advice for filling in the form, or any additional information we can send?

Thanks

Sarah

My tips would be ... send EVERYTHING in you can, photocopy EVERYTHING you send in, fill it out based on the worst day possible. Prove that he needs more help than a NT child of the same age . There are some posts on here that have links to sites with advice for filling the forms in too.

I did Charlies in Feb and got a decision last week - he is high functioning autistic, 3 years old and got High rate care component.

Hi having a high IQ will n ot go against him. My son has aspergers and his main difficulties are his anger/behaviour amongst other things. make sure you write everything down and the worst days too, include as much info as poss and what time scale where appropriate. I wrote loads filled in all the boxes there were appropriate to Matthew and added another 2 sides of A4 about him too. Matthew is into his second dla award now and recieves lower for mobility and higher for personal care. make sure you put things in like not understand social cues etc the way you right it can help too.