Sign in to follow this  
Gerrard

Adult With AS

If there was one thing I could say about receiving a diagnosis as an adult, is at least I've got something. Knowledge, the chance to move on and do sommthing real. Stop pretendimng I'm something I'm not. I spent so much of my life being 'stupid', 'the class clown', when, just recently, I was dx Aspergergers, dyslexia and dyspraxia, with an IQ in the top 2%

I was never stupid. I'm now studying for a a post-grad at University, and I'm building, from scratch, a lap steel guitar

Welcome to the forum, Gerard :)

I found getting a dx allowed me to understand all the things I had difficulties with and had beaten myself up over thinking I was inadequate and dysfunctional.

Sounds like you are doing great stuff now!

Bid :)

Hi Gerrard,

Welcome to the Forum, while my AS diagnosis is only provisional it still explained a lot of things. I'm at university at the moment although only undergrad, I never thought I would get in. What you studying? Very cool about making the lap steel guitar!

SG

That's exactly it Bid, my dx gave me breathing space. I've stopped beating myself up and realised I'm kind of ok.

Sciencegeek, I'm studying, would you believe? A post grad in Autism studies. Not purely narcissistic,

I stripped down an old 1970s Fenfer Tele Bullet, putin new pick ups and electrics. I just have to paint it. Problem is, painting a guitar takes several coats, including varnishes, and I can't do that at home. Needs a clean, well ventilated area.

My new project is building the lap steel, from scratch. I have the plans,and the tools.

Guest Lya of the Nox

i think a diag helps everyone, i know when our dd found out at 11, it was like taking huge weight off her shoulders and it was visible

i have recently had a different diagnosis, and the relief it has given me is amazing.

good lukc

and welcome!!!

If there was one thing I could say about receiving a diagnosis as an adult, is at least I've got something. Knowledge, the chance to move on and do sommthing real. Stop pretendimng I'm something I'm not.

Sounds great : )

I also stopped trying to be normal and it also helped me see situations which were very stressful, so I removed myself from them and am much more content.

Yes, at least when you know why things haven't always gone well in life, at least there is an explanation.