racey

social stories

Hi

my 9 yr son is in mainstream school, and when there is going to be any change isn't always support or in the least prepared for the change in his routine, on the odd ocassion that the school have prepared him they have used social stories however the person who writes them has had no training, as much as she does a fantastic job its not detailed enough, and when we go through it at home panic sets in because of this. when i approached the senco at school they said that they would send home a draft and i can sort it out and they will then re do it so he has what he needs, however i've had no training and i wouldn't know where to start.

any suggestions?

books or something

thank you

racey

I've sent you a PM.

Karen

x

i'm all new to this! i've just clilcked on something and its disappeared any chance you could re do it xx thanks

The NAS does Help2 courses around the country. I went on a Social Stories one which was useful. A few of the mums brought along their child's TA to it as well.

Lx

Hi A book I ordered on Amazon uk, (a god send for great books) is called revealing the hidden social code

Social Stories For people with ASD.

Marie Howley and Eileen Arnold.

Foreward by carol gray.

I am in the early stages of using socail stories as I am using widgits but its already making a massive difference, I am learning too that the socail stories have to be really well thought out, the book even gives explanations to why sometimes socail stories dont work.

I will let you know more when I have read right throw it.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi A book I ordered on Amazon uk, (a god send for great books) is called revealing the hidden social code

Foreward by carol gray.

I am in the early stages of using socail stories as I am using widgets but its already making a massive difference, I am learning too that the socail stories have to be really well thought out, the book even gives explanations to why sometimes socail stories dont work.

JsMum

thanks for that. i'll have a look. i honestly dont know where to start!

so thank you its much appreciated!

I have ordered the social stories book too, as they were suggested by the special needs early years inclusion service. I am going to write my own based on the Carol Gray book. I will let you know how I get on.

I would be interested in going on a course too and will look into this.

What are Widgets please?

Foreward by carol gray.

I am in the early stages of using socail stories as I am using widgits but its already making a massive difference, I am learning too that the socail stories have to be really well thought out, the book even gives explanations to why sometimes socail stories dont work.

JsMum

Yes, I'd recommend this book too. It may seem long, but you don't have to read right through to the 'advanced social stories' bit.

And yes, they are a lot more complicated than you think at first! This may explain why the ones your school is using are not 'working', Racey. they take a lot of planning before actually writing.

all the best.

Lizzie xx