jo4themo

Stephen Wiltshire on Tv next week

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that next weeks Extraordinary People (Weds) on Five is about Stephen Wiltshire who has autism. He is a very talented artist and it looks interesting.

Thanks - can you 'bump' this next week? What time is it on? Stephen is a 'case' featured in Oliver Sacks' 'An Anthropologist on Mars'. Very interesting.

Hi Mumble

It's on next Weds at 9pm on 5 - sorry I won't be able to bump it next week as we are off on hoilday on saturday - major undertaking as it's my family of five, our friend and her 2 plus by brother in law and his 2 so that's 7 children!!! Mind you they all get on well most of the time apart from my two nieces who fight a lot. Wish me luck :unsure:

I remember watching a BBC docu about him about twenty years ago!

He was a real eye opener to me...A Child Prodigy, he was somebody that I never forgot, he left such an impression and made me want to find out more about Autism.....and look how things turned out!

There are some excellent videos on You Tube, one in which he is taken on a helicopter ride across Rome and then he totally from memory creates a five yard length picture of all the buildings, St. Peters Cathedral and The Coliseum in great accuracy!

He was also non verbal and only spoke when his teacher realised how much he loved to draw and she hid his art equipment so he would try and communicate with her...he did, his first words were,"Pencil and Paper!" :thumbs:

Ooh, two threads on this, didnt know which to pick!

We all watched this tonight, me with happy tears as like Lisa I've been following his progress for 20 years, before autism touched our lives.

I was so thrilled to see how he had developed socially & was taking his place in the world, a polite, friendly, at ease with himself young man with ever growing independence.

JP was v interested, he remembers me getting a book of his drawings out of the library to show him when he was around 10 & we had told him about his AS. One of his enduring interests is skyscrapers, he used to spend hours drawing them in a similar style to Steven Wiltshire tho obviously nowhere near as good. We are now planning to visit his gallery on our next visit to London & maybe buy a print.

A life enhancing programme.

I knew Stephen when he was a child. His mum used to bring him for therapy at the clinic where I worked, over 20 years ago now! His therapist used to rush downstairs after he'd gone and show us the amazing pictures he'd drawn during their sessions and we'd all rave about them. I've found it amazing to watch his progress over the years.

~ Mel ~