EmmaB

Moan assessments and teachers - long....

DD is 6 and we are under CAMH's being assessed for ASD/Aspergers atm. The last time we saw the psychologist he said next step was to speak to the school and as long as the teacher didnt have any objections to dd being diagnosed then we would be in a position to proceed.

So I had a quick word with the teacher and explained the psychologist would call and why. Wednesday she told me he had called and last night I popped into the school to discuss the call with her. She told me that they hadnt really agreed anything and that even though she is aware of dd's "issues" she feels these could be a general immaturity rather than something particular (dont people hate using the word ASD loL), anyway she went on to say that they are doing everything they can at the moment to help dd and so in her opinion it was better to wait and see how she progressed and review her again at a later date.

Now this slightly irritates me. Shes a very good teacher and although I can't really argue with anything she said from "her point of view", she has only known dd since September and only see's her within the rigid environment that is school, where routines are set and boundaries known. All things which make dd comfortable.

Now the social inappropriateness, silly voices, hand flapping, jerky and hyperness is something we experience pretty much every time we go out. And we believe it is a reaction to an environment she is not happy/comfortable to be in. And although this may diminish over time (as she gets old), I think there will always be an element of it. Not to mention that there are other issues which are more deep seated than a general appearance of ?immaturity?.

And yes they are doing all they can for her at the moment, but if dd is diagnosed we are not looking for a magic wand to be waved to cure her. We are just looking for recognition that she has ?issues and difficulties? because we feel this is an important thing for her future and will allow her some lee-way which she perhaps wouldn?t otherwise get.

In our view and looking back over the last 6 years we know that dd is not going to get "better", her condition is only going to change shape and size. It's how she copes with it all that counts and having no formal diagnosis, might in the future leave her labelled as a difficult child.

Now I know the teacher said about reviewing her at a later date, but she's only got dd for another term, then there will be a new teacher involved, who also perhaps will want to wait and see (cos in my experience no one wants to commit to anything). Its taken us 3 years to get this far and surely someone has to make a decision at some point? When will they finally agree she "wont grow out of it?", surely they have to do it at some point?

We see the psychologist the week after next, so I will be interested to hear his point of view on the discussion with the teacher, but the "lets watch and wait" thing is really beginning to annoy me now :wallbash: , hopefully he will take the teachers comments into consideration, but not allow it to effect the final judgement **big sigh**

Ignore me, Im just emptying my head again :blink:

as long as the teacher didnt have any objections to dd being diagnosed ............

I am suprised the CAHMS are going to condiser the teachers reactions of diagnosis, what if the School do object are the CAHMS not going to diagnose/ if at the end of the day they feel she has ASD then its up to them not a school, in my opinion (some )schools dont have a clue of Higher functioning Autism, the disability for some is hidden, many children go undiagnosed for years until teens or adultdhood but if they get diagnosed at 16, or 3o or even 80 they still had it as a child, the fact the psych is taking such a judgement from a teacher makes me suspect what training does the psych have, schools can miss a lot of the signs and if anything she needs a proper assessment in Autism.

for CAMHS to put so much emphasis on school could be placing too much trust in the school, with the way schools and meeting childrens sens this could be a dangerous situation leaving many children going undiagnosed for years, of course some schools dont want to identify a need, if they did then they have to meet those needs and give extra support and for some children where it isnt enough a statement of SEN and so the school could have a hidden agenda here, the person diagnosising your daughter needs to be coming from a professional experienced in Autism.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

I would be extremely concerned if a diagnosing psych or pead was going to hold back on a dx just because the school didn't agree. If that is the case, I would go for a second opinion.

I agree that some teachers do like to "wait and see", but from my own experience a diagnosis is better obtained sooner, rather than later.

Thank you for your replies, alot of what you say makes good sense and I think I need good sense at the moment lol.

Jsmum - I think they just wanted to hear what the teacher thinks of it all and what if anything she has problems with. I did say to the psych that I was unsure of the response he would get from the teacher as school is such a confined environment with routines etc, somewhere dd will do well.

I guess I Have to wait and see what the pysch "says" about it all, perhaps I have been harsh in automatically presuming he will take "sides" with the teacher? So far dd has had quite in depth psychometric testing down all of which indicate ASD, we have had numerous meetings and assessments and there is a strong line of ASD in my family and funny enough the latest speeech and language report states "social difficulties" and a lack of creative imagination (which of course I faxed a copy to the psych) lol.

Thank you again for your replies, its made me realise I have been alittle to transfixed on the teacher side of things and perhaps this is not necessary sometime I need worry about? I guess we will see a week on Thursday!

xx

I can only say what others are saying and add a teachers can not diagnoses they are NOT medically trained!

CAMHS is not a school based assessment, it may be done in conjunction and along side a worry at school. It is therefore a private assessment just like going to the dentist or something.

I have just filled in the forms for CAMHS for my son and I have elected for any professionals involved in his medical care NOT to to be contact until AFTER he has been assessed by CAMHS in order they can make up their own minds as to his problems and then get see if it matches....ie no preformed ideas.

As my son is home ed they are coming to my house to start assessments and I have reminded them with a couple of letters now that he is home eded and it is inappropriate to contact any school or Education Services at the Local Authority with regards to my son without my permission, which I currently do not give!

The know should they break this confidentiality they are in serious trouble..professionally and legally

Hi Emma

It's the school's job to report how your dd is at school and that should be it really - whether or not they believe she has an ASD or not and if she has should she receive a diagnosis should not be their responsibility.

While waiting and seeing can be worthwhile sometimes, I do think after a while you ('you' generally not you personally!) have to take the plunge and make a diagnosis. My ds#1 was diagnosed at 4, almost 5 and I doubt he'd be diagnosed yet if left to the school and their ed psych (who recommended 'firm management' and made no mention of ASDs). Also there are good spells and times where the difficulties are more obvious and I think we could have gone on forever thinking 'he's improving'...'he has major problems'...'he's fine'...'he's not fine' and someone actually making the decisive step to diagnose was a relief to me.

Hi

I think it's outrageous that the teacher appears to have a lot of clout in the decision as to whether your child gets a diagnosis or not. Don't get me wrong, I feel strongly that teacher's should be keep in the loop and asked how that child presents themselves within the class, one to one setting, queuing in line/lunchtime, during unstructured times eg in playground, etc. But, and there's a very big BUT ... children often present themselves differently in various settings. I recall there being various polls on this forum, and the majority of parents/carers voted that their child did not present themselves in the same way at school (parents do tend to get the brunt!). I myself had to strongly point this out to various Paeds/Consultants/GP/HV etc. Don't mean to get on my high horse, but a lot of these people who see our kids for assessments, perhaps see them for 30 mins on a good day/months apart and conclude everything's fine when it's far from it - they clock on at 9 and clock off at 5 - we don't! Sorry, that sounds a bit full on, but I found myself increasingly frustrated at people unwilling to commit to making important decisions ie diagnosing my son when in actual fact all the signs were there and obvious. Lastly, teachers aren't qualified and often know very little about ASDs to give a considered opinion.

Best wishes

Caroline

Edited by cmuir

Thanks again. Dh and I have decided (lol) that the teachers input will not be allowed to influence CAMH's decision. The psych said as long at the teacher didnt have any objections, well she didnt!!!! And really its little to do with her as she only has dd for one more term and then we move onto the next teacher, so yes you are all right, any diagnosis should not be up to the school.

I did say to the psych that I really didnt think the teacher would have much to say as school is such a controlled environment where dd is comfortable. Its taking her out of that environment which causes the problems.

We such see what they say on Thursday, I shall go prepared for battle once again **sigh**