Sign in to follow this  
hev

is there any point?

got appt with cahms this week for steve,been with them about 4 years and have had no help from them,im thinking of not going but is there any help in the future they might be able to give,i spose im so used tothem being no help i cant see the point of going,hes not on meds,been on them before,no change,i think thats what cahms is all about really,oh anger management no change,any advice appreciated,thanks

Hi Hev.Purely a personal view.If Camhs are prepared to see Steve occasionaly I think it may be worth going even if just so that Steve remains on their books.

That way if you do need support at some point Steve will be on the books and you will not have to go through the assessment process from scratch.Karen.

Hev

I don't know! My experience of CAMHS has been very mixed. There are times I've been grateful for them, and times when I think they did more harm than good. The experience has varied enormously, depending on the consultant you get, what the problem is, what you are trying to achieve, and who else is involved.

Isn't Steven at a Priory school? They have access to CAMHS support so maybe you could ask them? Unless you want the service to be right on hand at home of course.

Flora XX

I know its not the "correct" thing to say but I agree with you Hev. I have attended so many pointless, box ticking meetings over the past 16 or so years that I dont think I can do it anymore. Last year I attended over 15 "meetings" with a variety of agencies and most had made a decision before we had even walked through the door.

Im a nervous wreck from the date the appointment is sent and have yet to hear anything positive. Ive decided for the sake of my own mental health that enough is enough for me Im afraid.

Hi

I recently had to attend, along with my son, a 12 week stint at a unit run by CAMHS (Incredible Years Programme). It was one of the most stressful, frustrating and pointless experiences that I've had in a long time. Basically, I was asked what kind of pregnancy I had, was my son planned, what kind of childhood I had, do I play with my son - all completely and utterly patronising clap-trap (I'm typing this with gritted teeth!). The programme was supposed to tackle and help manage my son's aggressive and unpredictable behaviour and offer me some guidance. Did nothing for my self-esteem being judged (again!). More importantly, I was instructed to ignore my son when he wraps a shoelace around his neck, tells me he wants to die because he hates living, when I can see he's very low/depressed, lies in the middle of roads, etc - this was all put down to attention seeking and that he's pushing my buttons because I'm giving him a reaction. In addition, they refused to make contact with a social worker that worked with us for nearly 2 years who could offer an unbiased perspective on how family life is (as it happens she backed up everything I've said about my son and his difficulties).

Reason I put myself and my son through all of that ###### was because I felt backed into a corner. I genuinely feel that I had no choice but to jump through their hoops and make an effort. You know what? ... I've done it and I have proved them wrong - I'm not a useless parent! Guess what I'm saying is that to a point I do feel we have to be seen to being proactive in trying to help our kids (as hard as it is). The hope is that along that route, you might actually come across a professional that actually talks some sense and helps. To some extent, I do feel that it can be a no win situation.

Sorry, all rather negative, but so far my experience of CAMHS hasn't been positive.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

well i decided not to go,cahms have been involved with steve when he was 12 and have done nothing to help us,i phoned once for an emergency appointment and the woman said we do not do emergency appointments :wallbash: that night steve attacked nick with a knife,that wasent cahms fault i know but the support just isent there,ive spoken to steves school today and they do access cahms from there(THANKS FLO :thumbs: )im hoping chmms differ from area to area!!

I am beginning to wonder about these MAMs and I have attended more than a fair share for all the services just place more pressure on you the parent or blame each other to provide services, a nice psychiatrist promised J a CPN, and some play therapy, he went to access it for me and now in a recent meeting he had to say that there isnt anything on offer, so for J it is just medication, as he is refusing his its not really helping much, he takes his night time medication but wont toutch the day time one as he has suffered side effects in the past, the team are very understanding and the pysch is supporting Js residentail school, since your steve is recieving this essential support I wouldnt think that they can offer any more spersific support unless they could offer support like CPN or other behavioural support so I do understand your reluctance in attending, its dreadful with the way the camhs acted when Steve had a knife, I am really beginning to wonder what some camhs do in certain areas.

JsMum

i know how u feel hev reece has been to so many appointments with lots of different people but there seems to be no support most of the people we hav seen only see reece a couple of times then we r forgotton

never seem to get anywhere

we have still got no diagnosis or anything

i think at the end of the day we as parents are just left to get on with it with no help!!

i think u do wats best for u both

goodluck

love donnaxxxxxxxx