Sign in to follow this  
hedders

im going to apply for stat assessment

Given me lots of advice said i have enough evidence to support my concerns mentioned that i also have in writing letters from her head teacher, and deputy head over last 3yrs saying dd was making good progress didnt need any educational support and nothing was wrong with her

But her attainment level is 1b in all subjects she is 7 and progressing same as a 5yr old !!

Ipsea said the school were on very dangerous grounds stating nothing was wrong with dd and making good progress and that i should have a strong case

We live in bristol and under bristol council but she attends a school under another authority so how do i find out which is our local education authority

Can i also send in all the letters over the years stating my concerns to school, slt, pead and ed psy in stat assessment letter with evidence of dd diffcutlies back 3 yrs ago

and also send in all the letters from school stating dd was making good progress and had no social interaction diffculties

Edited by hedders

As I understand it, your local LEA is the LEA where you live and your daughter is attending an 'out of area' school with (presumably) the two LEAs coming to an arrangement over funding.

Probably worth ringing the LEA where you live to make sure, alternatively just ask her current school.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

My first reply was before your edit!

Initially you just need to write a letter requesting an assessment of your childs special needs. The letter will be sufficient initially, and they will then ask for evidence to support that application before deciding whether or not to proceed to a formal asessment.

You can find a template letter on the NAS web site.

Simon

My first reply was before your edit!

Initially you just need to write a letter requesting an assessment of your childs special needs. The letter will be sufficient initially, and they will then ask for evidence to support that application before deciding whether or not to proceed to a formal asessment.

You can find a template letter on the NAS web site.

Simon

I glad you said that as i cant find all her ot reports with recommandation on

Thanks

Also can i put possible language disorder down or do i have to say delay as reported on her reports

can i also put my concerns which she has not been tested for like cognitive diffculties

Not sure what i can or cant put

thanks

Just looked at the pinned thread can i list all the ones for complex needs can i also include her current attainment levels or will they look into it anyway

Edited by hedders

Taken from the ACE guide.......

To ask for a statutory assessment, write the following letter:

To: the Director of Education

Send the letter to your Local Education Authority - generally the one in the area where your child ordinarily lives. Send a copy of your letter to the school.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to ask you to assess the educational needs of my daughter/son {give your child?s name and date of birth} under Section 323 of the Education Act 1996.

I am making this request as is my right under Section 329 of the Act.

I think my child may need more help than the school can provide at Action Plus. {Say which school your child attends. If your child has been receiving help, say what this is and why you think it is not enough.}

I have written my views on my child?s difficulties in the enclosed report. {You can send a report now or later - see Step 9}.

The following people are involved with my child and I would like you to get advice from them. {List the people involved with your child}.

I am also sending you copies of other reports which may help you make your decision. {Send copies of any reports you may have from a teacher, educational psychologist, doctor etc.}

Yours sincerely,

{Your name}

Parent

Does that help?

yes thanks

problem is the external proffessionals have never given any intervention and the school hasnt provided dd with an iep isnt on school action or school action plus - been neglated by them all

OK - IPSEA are right in saying the school are on very dangerous ground, but have you asked the school (in writing) for information on your daughter and help for her.

Might be an idea to start there - as the worry is, the LEA may just say the school need to try first. Although, your child doesn't have to be on school action or school action plus to get a statement.

So this letter to the school first.....

Step 4: Check What Help Your Child Is Getting.

Is your child getting extra help at school or in nursery?

No - Go to Step 6

Yes - Read on

Not Sure - Send this letter to the SEN Co-ordinator:

Dear {give the SENCO's name},

I am concerned about my child?s progress at school and am worried that s/he needs special help. Please could you tell me if the school is giving any help through the school?s usual differentiation, School Action or School Action Plus.

If my child is on School Action or School Action Plus please include a copy of his/her individual education plan and the date of the next review.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

{Your name}

Parent

ask for a meeting (sorry if you've already done all this) to discuss your childs levels - and voice your concerns.

problem is the external proffessionals have never given any intervention and the school hasnt provided dd with an iep isnt on school action or school action plus - been neglated by them all

Just thought, would the professionals out of school be able to contact the school for you? Always helps if someone is willing to call and back you up.

I requested twice in letters 6 weeks ago and they refuse to give information we had a meeting with class teacher and senco who would only give us limited information

And the profess believe dd doesnt need any intervention as the school told them dd was progressing really well

should i include the copies of letters and say they refuse to give us information

Just to add she had an iep in reception yr which took her a yr to achieve and the senco removed it saying she didnt need one

They also removed her from speech and language therapy as she didnt need it in reception year

Edited by hedders

Hi hedders.I think it is usually the LEA in the area that you live in that needs to decide on the request for Statutary Assessment.If you ring the local council office and ask for the SEN department then they should be able to tell you who you need to write to.That is how it works in our area for children attending schools out of borough anyway.

You may need to fight to get agreement for funding for a school out of borough via the Statement if you want your child to remain at the same school or another school out of the LEA area.However that is the next stage of the battle....you need to get an agreement to Assess first.Karen.

Hi hedders,

As others have said, you need to direct the request for statutory assessment to the LEA you live in.

In response to your first post, I don't think it's a good idea to send in anything from the school that says how well your daughter is doing - you don't want to make it too easy for the LEA to refuse!. Concentrate on finding evidence that shows the opposite.

Good luck

K x

thank you for your advice today i sent it to our local lea

in the end i decided to write that she has been recieving additional educational support since reception yr from small groups extra adult support and visits senco on regular basis and still only progressing at the same attainment level of a 5yr old

This is what she is recieving just a very mininual form which she isnt benifiting from

Feel so more at ease tonight so if they decide to proceed do they write to the school and obtain school records

Thanks again everyone let you know what happens in 6 weeks time

xx

Im afraid i didnt send anything in to them like previous medical records just stated all her diffculties

Edited by hedders

Good Luck, just sent our evidance-all previuos reports from ot,etc, also a diary Ive kept of behaviuors, and sent by recorded delivery-god help em if they refuse

Lisa X

Good Luck, just sent our evidance-all previuos reports from ot,etc, also a diary Ive kept of behaviuors, and sent by recorded delivery-god help em if they refuse

Lisa X

Have you sent this with the letter requesting of assessing the childs educational needs or have they ask you for further evidence

oops i havent done this

good luck

Hedders.

Don't worry if you did not send diary,reports etc with the letter requesting Statutary Assessment.A brief letter outlining the main difficulties your child has and reasons why you feel an assessment is neded should be fine.

The LEA will contact the school to obtain information regarding the schoool's perspective on difficulties,current support provided and the impact of that support.The LEA can also contact you if more information is needed.

Usually the information obtained goes to a pre-assessment panel who decide whether they consider an assessment is needed.If the panel decide to assess then you will be asked to submit further evidence which would include a detailed account of your perspective on your child's SEN,professional reports,names of individuals that you would like the LEA to request evidence from etc.

Unfortunately Statutary Assessment is a marathon rather than a sprint...but at least you are on the route. :) Karen.

sorry-didnt mean to scare you, think ive preempted them by sending all i did!

Lisa

No

hubby said dont worry if we get declined just appealxx

If a child has complex needs and had been under external professionals for 3yrs who has never provided any intervention, neither the school would the lea be interested?? that that child hasnt been identified as having SEN and now 2yrs behind in academic

Just wondering in my case ,they know she has but trying to brainwash me that shes just a slow learner, in hope i give up and not embarrass them any more

i have a strong case

32 letters to proff and school over 3yrs with detailed description of dd diffculties and 10 replies from 1st pead acknowleding my concerns a letter from deputy head saying nothing was wrong with dd and lots of diary info also drawlings, pictures, writing all showing mirrored drawings, symmetry which im going to use for imagation descriptions

And her school reports must show something other wise they would of given us copies by now and the pead has gone into hiding since recieving her annual report

God help my younger dd slt tomorrow i sent a detailed list to her, starting my evidence building as both dd under same pead and she said my younger dd communications had progressed but knew dd was reacting to her body language not communcation and said everyone will discharge her the following week her slt said possible language disorder /communcation disorder so i told the pead and guess what 3 months later her slt said yep shes really progressed and when i asked about her behaviour and odd language she replied your dd always had odd ways (the pead had told the slt) nothing was wrong !! IM NOT DAFT i notice the tinist of detail other people dont notice so i changed her slt

Edited by hedders

[

No

hubby said dont worry if we get declined just appealxx

If a child has complex needs and had been under external professionals for 3yrs who has never provided any intervention, neither the school would the lea be interested?? that that child hasnt been identified as having SEN and now 2yrs behind in academic

Hi hedders.One difficulty that you may have with the LEA if you raise the fact that the school have not provided adequate intervention is that it could increase the likelihood of the LEA deciding not to assess for a Statutary Assessment.

When deciding whether to conduct a Statutary Assessment the LEA may well want to be satisfied that the school have used all available delegated resources at School action and School action plus.They will require evidence to demonstrate what support the school has provided and to show that the support has not had a significant impact on the specific difficulties your child has.

So if the school have not provided much intervention or are not able to provide documentation then the LEA may decide not to assess until the school have provided intervention for a set period of time without significant impact.

Therefore even if you feel that the school have not done well in supporting your child it may not be in your best interest to be too explicit about your views at this point.Karen.