Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

My Mentor

I remember putting about how I didn't know how to react when before the hols he told me his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, he had to go in for an operation himself over the hols and he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. What a cruel thing to happen to their family, I know that cancer doesn't necessarily mean an automatic death sentence like it used to, but still to have both your parents with cancer at the same time, that is awful. How do you react to something like that?! I felt well guilty about moaning about my stuff when him and his wife are going through this. :unsure:

I think the best thing is just to tell him what you've written here- that you're sorry to hear of their illnesses. There's not much else you can say, to be honest. And don't feel guilty, sometimes having another focus(ie work) really helps get someone through such an awful time as its an area where they're occupied by something other than cancer and all that goes with the diagnosis.

I lost my fabulous mum to cancer 13 years ago, and it was fab to have places to go and people to chat with where the focus wasn't illness. Does that make sense? A bit of an escape kinda thing.

Your mentor will appreciate knowing that you are thinking of him, though. Its nice to know that people care!

Esther x