Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

ear plugs

Me again,

Can i ask how many of your children use earplugs

when in a noisy environment, and do they wear them without fuss

as in having something in their ears?

I've recently got J to use the soft squishy silicone earplugs that I use myself. They're VERY comfortable because they're so soft (think Plasticine when you've been fiddling with it for ages and it gets warm) and fill the whole outer ear. I can send you a link by PM if you like (I get them online).

J uses them for when next door's dogs start barking, or if it's raining heavily and he can't sleep, or when the transformer buzzes on his electric keyboard and it stops him concentrating on piano practice. He also keeps a pack of them in his swimming bag because it can get noisy in the changing cubicles. TBH I think they have a largely placebo effect on J, he thinks they'll help so they do.

Some people struggle with earplugs because they expect to hear nothing at all, but you usually hear 'white noise', like listening to the sea in a shell, and because it's unexpected it's harder to tolerate. I talked all this through with J before letting him try the earplugs so that he had a realistic expectation of them.

Karen

x

I use ear plugs - they're better than nothing but not great - although I do wonder whether that's cause I was bought (rather than having input myself) ones that are, erm, 'cheap' and 'bulk buy'.

The biggest problems I have are that they don't block everything out and I find then when I hear things it can be worse - for instance my neighbour loves to slam her door and it doesn't block this out so it can be worse. However, the biggest problem I have is that although they are usually initially comfortable, they are not for extended periods. I have to wear them to sleep and I find sometimes they get so uncomfortable they wake me up - it also means I can't wear them during the day because I can no longer tolerate them by night time. I'm looking into ear defenders for daytime wear.