EmmaB

Wish me luck for tomorrow....

We have the follow up appointment with the psychologist after his conversation with the teacher - for those who remember the teacher thought watchful waiting was the way to go, which basically means she only has one term left with dd and doesnt want the responsibility of being the "one" to dx dd - I am so cynical!!!

Anyway I have made notes and printed them and will take them to the appt tomorrow and see what he has to say about it all.....

Will be interesting....

I am preparing for battle lol

Well..................................... big sigh...

The psy is not at the moment willing to do a formal dx. He's says that dd certainly has Austric traits, BUT whether they are bad enough for a formal dx he doesnt know. Problem is the school say she copes ok and generally I think she does, but the school also said they are aware she is "slightly different" from the other children and does have some difficulties. This is also backed up by the report from the SALT who highlights possible pragmatics and social difficulties which may become more of a problem in the future. I guess the question is whether this become more of an issue as the social demands on her increase?

The psy also said (which I thought very interesting) was that children who display autistic traits from a young age, do tend to have more difficulties as they get older. Which is dd to a tee.

I think the school are worried about dx'ing cos then they might have to statement. But as I said to the psy I rather she wasnt statemented unless she really needs it and I think that is unlikely. What I want is recognition that she does have "issues and difficulties" that other children don't have so that the school/teacher can/will cut her some slack rather than think she is just attention seeking when it takes us 6 weeks to get her through the door of a new classroom with a new teacher without a complete melt down..... phew!

Anyway we see him again in June when we are going to discuss her anxieties, which will be fun!

In the meantime he is going to write to us to confirm she has autistic traits, which I guess is better than nothing???