Sign in to follow this  
mylittleangels

Benefits Advice

Hi there, can i just ask someone about benefits for my 15 year old please.

I have a fifteen year old son ASD been on dla since age of 3, what happens if he leaves school and doesn't go into college or work or stay on at school, i am his carer and get carers allowance and income support etc, what will he be entitled to and will it affect my benefits.

He'll still get DLA - subject to renewal: the adult version of the form will come through to you a few weeks before he turns 16 and you'll have to fill it all in again alas. If your personal circumstances are still the same, you will obviously carry on getting carers allowance too if he gets DLA.

Regarding other benefits, I'm not sure - he may be entitled to incapacity but you'd have to check it out. I don't know about the effect, if any on your benefits. Hopefully someone with direct experience will be able to tell you.

Try these links for further information:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...pport/index.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeo...ers/DG_10037637

Hope it helps a bit,

K x

You would definitely be able to apply for Incapacity in Youth if your son was no longer receiving child benefit.

I found that when they sent the adult DLA forms I ticked that I would like to be son's Appointee as he is not able to manage his own affairs. This means I can talk to DWP, etc on his behalf and still have DLA paid into my account.

To set this up the DWP sent a person from Jobcentreplus to check our identities and that my son was happy for me to look after his affairs. The representative they sent was actually very helpful with regards to information about other benefits and future possibilities should they be required.

I would say you can wait to speak to them or find out your local Jobcentreplus number and give them a call.

Barefoot