Sign in to follow this  
taran0

special needs schools

hi

I havent got a clue about schoolls and stuff, but my 3 year old son has just got a place in a full time nursery in september, i know he shows strong signs of having aspergers, and i know i have it.

I know that he is going to struggle there, he hasnt had a diagnosis yet but my wife will be visiting the gp in a week.

I checked on the nas website and found a school near me which can deal with children with aspergers, what i wanted to know was how hard is it to get your child into one of these schools, and do you need to have a diagnosis, and what is the process of trying to get your child into the school.

I am really worried as i now whats going to happen when he goes to school, i would prefer he went somewhere where they understood aspergers and better equipped to help him.

he is also going to go to the GP to get a referral for diagnosis but all the horror stories i have heard of mis-diagnosis or no diagnosis at all really scares me.

thanks

Taran

Hi, to get a place at a special school for aspergers you would need a dx and a statement of special educational needs.Even if you had those though there is no gaurantee that the local authority would fund a place for your son.Its not easy I know but try not to worry... this forum has lots of knowledgeable peeps on it and is a great support, welcome ... best wishes suzex

H and welcome to the forum.

As Suze said the first thing you need to do is find out what your son's needs actually are and then you'd need to apply for a statement. It's not a straight forward process but you'll get masses of information, advice and support on here.

Flora :D

thanks

my wife has contacted the gp for an appointment and also phoned the health visitor who was very supportive and explained that it can be a long process.

so here goes .....

Taran

When our son started kindergarden at age 2 we were told within a few months that we should get a statement of special educational needs (round here that means higher gov.t payments to the kindergarden to provide for his special needs). It took about another four months to get that one.

When our son started kindergarden at age 2 we were told within a few months that we should get a statement of special educational needs (round here that means higher gov.t payments to the kindergarden to provide for his special needs). It took about another four months to get that one.

Hi I don't want to sound negative but it sounds like the process is not as quick or easy for obtaining a Statement in Great Britain . :tearful: Karen.