Sign in to follow this  
sarahponari

Just interested to know...

What other children with ASD call their mums. My daughter who is 3 next month sometimes callsme mum, sometimes Sarah(my name), sometimes daddy, and even her own name, she has also started to call me Mr Tumble for some strange reason lol. She never calls me by her sisters name and knows her sisters name every time. Just was interested to see what other children call you and if there is ever an age where they have started calling you only mum and not any other names?

It's funny, but reading your question, I've been sitting here quite stumped because I realize that my son doesn't really 'call' me anything, if that makes sense. :wacko: What I mean is, some kids come up to their mum and go, 'muuuuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuuum, blah, blah blah' don't they, but he never uses names like that really, he just comes up and starts talking to you, he doesn't really use peoples' names at all, come to think about it!! If someone were to ask him about his parents he'd probably refer to us as 'mummy' and 'daddy', and in fact, as he's 14, I started to get a bit concerned about him maybe saying 'daddy' in front of his peers so, when referring to his dad I started saying, 'ask your dad this or that' rather than 'ask daddy this or that'. The funny thing is, though, that when I asked him to make a card for his dad's birthday, instead of writing 'daddy', which he would have written in previous years, he wrote 'to my dad', which I thought was quite funny! :lol:

Gee, that post makes no sense at all, does it, but I know what I mean. He will write 'mummy' and 'daddy', but he never really says it. :wacko::lol:

~ Mel ~

I know what you mean.

My daughter doesnt really say my name before talking to me, its just we get her to tell us who we all are sometimes to get her used to calling us by our names and that is mostly the time when she might call me any one of the names i put. She will sometimes start saying mum, mum, mum over and over and when i ask her what she wants she will walk away, so she is getting better and starting to realise if she calls me mum then i will respond but still has alot of problems with remembering who i am(or thats how it seems) and also realising when she needs to say my name(well mum, anyway)

Edited by sarahponari

N also doesn't tend to say people's names when speaking to them, although she is better now than she was afew years ago. She only tends to call me "Mum" if she wants to ask me something that's really important (to her).

The other day she phoned her friend to tell her something (the first time she has used the phone to phone someone), anyhow her friend answered and rather than N saying "It's N is that A?" she just launched straight into the topic!!! She had to phone same friend this morning and this time remembered to ask if it was A ( I think this was cos I reminded her as I dialled the number, LOL) but forgot to say that it was her until about 2 minutes in when she suddenly said "It's N here"! Luckily her friend (age 12) has known her since she was born and takes her as she is.

katie is nt and always calls me heather,never mum!!steve calls me a variety of colourful names :rolleyes:

Lewis called me Mu for ages and Aiden (3 in August) calls me Daddy or Mummy, lol but i'm no better when i call for mine i go through all their names before i get it right, getting old urgh :rolleyes: