BusyLizzie100

Sibling rights - school admissions

If you have a child with a Statement who has an older sibling, does the older child have similar rights as the Statemented child regarding school admission? I mean this with regard to mainstream schools.

I ask because DS1 (currently Y5) will go to secondary school before DS2, and DS2 has a Statement. DS1 also gets some support at school but is not Statemented. I understand we could apply to a specific school on social and medical grounds for DS1, whereas for DS2 we would have more say about choosing a specific school because it would be named in his Statement.

But I have heard that siblings of children with SEN and Statements are also seen as having extra needs and therefore higher priority when it comes to school placement... such that because the Statemented child will be going to a certain school, then the older child will also be seen as meeting the higher priority criteria for the same school. This would obviously be preferable as it would take away any uncertainty about getting through/not getting through on social and medical grounds.

We'd like to keep the boys at the same school and basically if we find one mainstream secondary that's good for ASD it's likely to be a good choice for both boys. I'm just concerned about admission for DS1, especially cos it's such a lottery around our way.

So, my question is, does anyone know anything about this? Is there anything in the Code of Practice?

Hope this is isn't too garbled... I feel a bit garbled today!!!

Lizzie xx

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Hi

Not sure but we have got DS3 into a high school no statement as of yet but note in lieu and re-appling but were trying to get DD2 into same school , i'm hoping they let her with having DS3 in there

I have not heard of it happening as you describe. If the statemented child is already in the school maybe, but no one can predict what school a child with a Statement will go to (his needs may change, or the school may change).

In our area the priority is

1) Looked after children

2) Statemented children

3) Children who live nearest the school

4) Siblings

However, I do not know if all the schools in different areas of the country use this criteria

Lyn

In our area the priority is

1) Looked after children

2) Statemented children

3) Children who live nearest the school

4) Siblings

However, I do not know if all the schools in different areas of the country use this criteria

Lyn

The priority is similar for us, although I think siblings come after Statemented children.

What I'm trying to find out is, what rights does my elder son have? For example, DS3 would go to the same school as DS2 under the siblings rule, but what if DS1 is given a place at a school that is not our first choice (happening a lot around here) and DS 2 then goes to the school that IS our first choice because it can be named on his Statement?

I expect that if this were to happen, we could then apply for DS1 to join DS2 at DS2's school under the siblings rule, but why should DS1 be messed about? It would be best if DS1 could be at the appropriate school in the first place, which is why I ask if he would have any additional rights.

I take the point that needs and heads may change, but we have to plan somehow, and DS1 will be at secondary school very soon.

Has any one ever come across anything in the Code or Practice, or elsewhere???

Lizzie xx :(

I think it is one of the discretionary things the head will take into account under "social grounds". There is one year between our NT son and our ASD daughter (son is older) and he was offered a place at a highly sought after school after social worker wrote explaining he had a sibling who would have a statement who would be coming along the following year. In the event she didn't, as we decided to opt for a special school from the outset, but we were always given to understand at the time that our son didn't have an automatic right to special consideration as it was dd who had the special needs not him, and the sibling place only applied for younger not older siblings, but that it was one of the things which would be weighed in the balance. Hth

but what if DS1 is given a place at a school that is not our first choice (happening a lot around here) and DS 2 then goes to the school that IS our first choice because it can be named on his Statement?

I expect that if this were to happen, we could then apply for DS1 to join DS2 at DS2's school under the siblings rule, but why should DS1 be messed about? It would be best if DS1 could be at the appropriate school in the first place, which is why I ask if he would have any additional rights.

The way you have worded the above, makes it sound as if you wish to use the fact that DS2 would probably get into your preferred school, as a reason to ensure DS1 does get into your preferred school. Is there a reason why it is necessary for DS1 and DS2 to be in the same secondary school? I know several families who have chosen to send their children to different secondaries. If you can base your argument on the needs of DS2 and DS1 and transport issues (if there are any), then you have a better chance (but presumably it would have to go under the "any other reason - medical, etc criteria).

The LA could argue that DS2 may not get into X school (because it cannot meet his needs, or because you find a more suitable school for him) - then you would have to move DS1 anyway, in order for him to be in the same school.

You are basing your argument on something that may or may not happen - what evidence do you have (from current school/review/preferred school/etc) that DS2 will end up at that school? What Year is DS2 in currently?

Speak to the school and get a copy of their Admissions Policy, and speak to the LA - see what they say.

The way you have worded the above, makes it sound as if you wish to use the fact that DS2 would probably get into your preferred school, as a reason to ensure DS1 does get into your preferred school. Is there a reason why it is necessary for DS1 and DS2 to be in the same secondary school? I know several families who have chosen to send their children to different secondaries. If you can base your argument on the needs of DS2 and DS1 and transport issues (if there are any), then you have a better chance (but presumably it would have to go under the "any other reason - medical, etc criteria).

The LA could argue that DS2 may not get into X school (because it cannot meet his needs, or because you find a more suitable school for him) - then you would have to move DS1 anyway, in order for him to be in the same school.

You are basing your argument on something that may or may not happen - what evidence do you have (from current school/review/preferred school/etc) that DS2 will end up at that school? What Year is DS2 in currently?

Speak to the school and get a copy of their Admissions Policy, and speak to the LA - see what they say.

One reason for having the two boys at the same school is that if we manage to find one among our local secondaries that understands autism, then it will be probably be the most appropriate for both of them (one has a dx of Asperger's and the other a dx of ASD).

And yes, it is possible that DS2 may end up at special school for his secondary education.

I have just spoken to IPSEA, in fact, who agreed that it's not likely to work for the older sibling, although it would for the younger brother because of the sibling rule. My options are to apply for DS1 to attend a specific school through social and medical reasons (I believe round our way that comes after Statemented children in the priority list), or to re-apply for a statutory assessment for him - I think this is what I need to do you.

The situation is kind of muddied by the fact that I visited the secondary open days back in Sept and every school asked if DS1 has a Statement; when I said no, most of them said well there's a not lot we'll be able to do to support him then - obviously those were informal, off-the-record comments, but they don't exactly inspire confidence. That's why I'm in a pickle!

Lizzie :wacko:

You can apply for the school under the medical, etc criteria - this usually comes above the catchment and siblings criteria. Also apply for a Statement now.

Go and talk to the SENCOs at each school in September (if you go now, it is likely staff/school will have changed by the next Sept) about your son. Tell them what he finds difficult and ask how they would help him. Look at the school environment too (eg: some buildings are very noisy, some use horrible bells at lesson change over time). Take lots of notes. Get copies of their SEN and Behaviour Policies, and look at their last Ofsted and School Profile.

Join a local support group if there is one - they will tell you the truth about the schools.

I had to choose between two good secondary schools for my bit Aspie son (no Statement). I talked to both SENCOs and to the Head of the school that I then thought was most suitable. However, what I was told then had completely changed by the time he started (it had a Dyslexia Unit run by a good full-time SENCO - but she left and the job is now shared between two teachers). In the same time, the other school has now got a better SENCO and I have heard good things about it, so you never know what will happen. I wanted R to have the same tutor who had a good understanding of AS for the whole five years - but she got married and left after 18 months! Because he is in the top set, and most of the LSAs are in the bottom sets, he does not get much help in class.

I will PM you some of the Qs I asked.

You can apply for the school under the medical, etc criteria - this usually comes above the catchment and siblings criteria. Also apply for a Statement now.

Go and talk to the SENCOs at each school in September (if you go now, it is likely staff/school will have changed by the next Sept) about your son. Tell them what he finds difficult and ask how they would help him. Look at the school environment too (eg: some buildings are very noisy, some use horrible bells at lesson change over time). Take lots of notes. Get copies of their SEN and Behaviour Policies, and look at their last Ofsted and School Profile.

Join a local support group if there is one - they will tell you the truth about the schools.

I had to choose between two good secondary schools for my bit Aspie son (no Statement). I talked to both SENCOs and to the Head of the school that I then thought was most suitable. However, what I was told then had completely changed by the time he started (it had a Dyslexia Unit run by a good full-time SENCO - but she left and the job is now shared between two teachers). In the same time, the other school has now got a better SENCO and I have heard good things about it, so you never know what will happen. I wanted R to have the same tutor who had a good understanding of AS for the whole five years - but she got married and left after 18 months! Because he is in the top set, and most of the LSAs are in the bottom sets, he does not get much help in class.

I will PM you some of the Qs I asked.

thanks, Kazzen :notworthy:>:D<<'>