amberzak

Will it effect if I am employed?

Hi. I am training to be a primary school teacher (although I really want to be a writer and filmaker)

Anyway, my question is, with a diagnoses of Asperges or High Functioning Autism, will that mean I wont get a job. When I apply, whether it be a career job or just a part time one to keep me going, do I tell them I am autistic?

Primary school teaching isn't a career assumed to be a popular choice for people with AS by the AS community, but most teachers nowadays have heard of AS even if they don't know much about AS. At the moment there is very tough competition for jobs in primary school teaching with too many NQTs chasing too few jobs. Just check out the TES forum for NQTs first hand experience of this. On the other hand, there is a serious shortage of primary school teachers who have a good knowledge of AS and experience working with kids with AS, and many parents here can testify this. Therefore, your knowledge of AS and autism could be a selling point providing that the head teacher interviewing you is interested. Sometimes head teachers are crying out for a new teacher with knowledge and experience of AS, but others aren't interested because they see other things as more important in their school. Enquire and find out before applying. If you have ability making films then that could also be a selling point because schools like teachers with certain knowledge and skills that can be used to form clubs and societies. A film making society is likely to appeal to some kids with AS.

It would be illegal to turn you down simply because of your diagnosis, but an employer who does not want staff with AS could make up a different excuse not to hire you.

If you do not tell them about your diagnosis, and later require adjustments, you will not be able to ask for them. If they later find out about your diagnosis, they could sack you for lying on your application. It is highly unlikely they would find out, since medical information is private.

Personally, I think you should tell them, and give some brief information about how it is likely to affect you at interview. For example, you don't want them to think you are dishonest at your interview because you are not making eye contact. It is easier to admit it than try to act normal. If you make friends in work, you would have to keep your diagnosis secret from them.

... When I apply, whether it be a career job or just a part time one to keep me going, do I tell them I am autistic?

If you don't tell them, they'll be able to deduct from your behaviour that you aren't NT. Question is whether what they think of you (when you're not telling them) is 'better' or 'worse' than AS (which you can tell them about) in their eyes.