Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Calling people in SCOTLAND

Hi all

Not an ASD question which is why I've posted it here. I need to know about the system in Scotland to help one of my students who is going to a work placement in a school there.

What I need to know mainly is the various ages and stages, early years education, ages of transfer between stages what tests/exams are done when and what the different classes are called. Also what the typical school day in a primary school looks like -start and finish times etc. (She's going to a primary school).

I've looked on Teachernet but there isn't enough information for my purposes. I've got to write some kind of simplified summary for her but I don't want it to be boring. So if anyone could give me information from their own experience, or point me in the direction of an online source, I'd be very grateful. I did the English system the other day but I know there are some differences and I don't want her to end up completely confused!

Thanks

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I'm not in Scotland, but I hope I'm allowed to answer, as I had to look all this up for my research:

Unlike in England where the cut off age is August 31st for school entry, with all children born between September 1st and August 31st being in the same 'year', within the Scottish system, it works between the beginning of March and the end of February, even though the school year starts in August, so in Primary 1 (equivalent to England's Reception year) will contain children who are already 5, born between March and August when they start, and children who are 4 1/2 who will be 5 between the August they start and the following February. However, just to confuse that a little, parents whose children have birthdays between the August school start and the following February (i.e. the 4 1/2 year olds - the youngest in the year) are allowed to choose to hold their child back a year, so starting Primary 1 the following August, if they feel their child is not yet ready for full-time school (sounds complicated, but I think this is a great idea :thumbs:).

From then on, primary school years are equivalent to English primary like this:

Scotland Primary 1 = England Reception or Year 1

Scotland Primary 2 = England Year 1 or Year 2

Scotland Primary 3 = England Year 2 or Year 3

etc. etc.

The other big difference with ages is that children stay in primary school to Primary 7, which would be, for most children in England, the equivalent of the first year of secondary, i.e. most Scottish children transfer a year later (again something I think is good).

As for curriculum, assessment etc, they have their own curriculum and assessments which has recently been reviewed:

Curriculum for Excellence

Wow Bard you really did your homework ! Schools will be moving towards a Curriculum for Excellece (if you go to the EIS for Scotland you should get more info on this ) however there is no clear guidance as of yet as to how to do this so schools will still be using 5-14 National testing for a little while longer until they have something to replace it .

5-14 the scottish National Guidelines describe the progress though 5 levels

Level A should be attainable in the couse of P1- P3 by almost all pupils

Level B should be attainable by some pupils in P3 or even earlier, but certainly my most in P4

Level C should be attainable in the course of P4-P6 by most pupils

Level D should be attainable by some pupils in p5-P6 or even earlier, but vertainly by most in P7

Level E should be attainable by some in P7/S1 but certainly by most in S2

if a report says they have attained level b it means they have completed the national test at level b and are now working towards level C

Different school also use different tests such as...

P1- baseline assessments

Nfer Nelson is given to children in P3 and P6 ( i think ) the teacher administer the tests and Nfer Nelson collate the results and send the results back to schools.

P 3 we often do a test called the Quest Test

Can't think of anything else just now ignore the spellig i'm tired.

kathryn the title of your post was calling people in scotland wasent it.

do you need me to call them for you?they will hear me im sure cos apparently im very loud :clap::clap: couldnt resist that one :P

Thanks for the offer hev. :lol:

Just how loud can you go? I've got friends in South Africa - and phone calls are expensive. :P;)

K x

Wow Bard you really did your homework !

:unsure:

All I wrote was 'I've pm'd you.'

Are you the person the information was for, or are you getting me muddled with Mumble?

She's younger, fitter and cleverer than me. But we both like chocolate.

:unsure:

All I wrote was 'I've pm'd you.'

Are you the person the information was for, or are you getting me muddled with Mumble?

She's younger, fitter and cleverer than me. But we both like chocolate.

No the info was for me and me only - a muddle with Mumble I think. :)

By the way I was able to put something really useful together for my student, thanks to the info you both gave me. And it will come in handy for the next course, as will your additional info, moncs. So thanks once again. :notworthy:

K x