Sign in to follow this  
Abby

Going to GP

I have decided to go and speak with my doc about my son and i have an appoinment on friday,my husband is taking the day of work to come with me,i am writing down everything i can think of about him and hopefully get a referral back to camhs.

This is what I have so far..

getting into trouble at school due to his behaviour

sillyness

answering back

fidgeting

being disbruptive

calling out answers when it isnt his turn

being cheeky(he isnt,he just speaks logically,like,yes you can get a rubber to rub out ink,i have a special pen at home that rubs out ink)which is true.

poor organising skills

forgetful/poor memory

poor handwriting

talks too much

easily led

thinks everything is funny and will act up if he gets a laugh from his mates for being silly and he is the one who gets in trouble because he doesnt know when enough is enough

At home he talks constantly about the subjects that interest him and doesnt listen to anything anyone else has to say

seems obssessed with cars,engines,motors etc

cant cope with homework,gets very stressed to crying point,doesnt have energy for homework,throws himself on floor like baby,he is 9,takes ages to write anything,very slow at writing,takes 3 times as long as he needs to on homework,then gets upset because it isnt right.or he thinks he will get in trouble.

complains of aching leg muscles and tires out easily.

takes things literally,and doesnt understand metaphors.

poor time keeping/awareness of time but is constantly looking at his watch and timing things like how mamy seconds it is until eastenders is on.

needs reminders to do anything ,like eating his tea,getting pj`s on.brushing his teeth,i have to be there very second or he wont get on and do anything,he needs constant butt kicking basically.(not literally) :rolleyes:

I dont want the doc to say "oh hes just a normal kid" and get rid of me

Does this sound normal to you?do you think this will get us a referral?

I dont want him on meds,i just want him to get the proper help and understanding he needs.I am fed up of telling his teacher he has problems,she just says he is being naughty.

thanks

i went to gp and demanded to be referred as we have rights ,,, plus we couldnt cope with behaviours and were losin the plot big time!!!!! gp referred us straight away... but i had post natal depression also at the time and was really ill so maybe he could see that we needed help.... we had to use a behavioural team once a week for 6 months,, we still have the behaviours but we now have different strategies in place for them and we cope much better,, really hard work though,,,

I would perhaps also mention how this is effecting the family.

You have a good list going there and don't forget the spectrum is very wide and it umbrella's lot of different sydromes.

Good luck for Friday keep us posted on how you get along.

Clare x x x

all of the above, the school keep saying my boy was a naughty boy, If he was my first I may have just though he was, but there was a certain naieveness and old-fashionedess about him, when he was little it was just really cute but as he got older it was becoming more odd, I asked my gp fo referral, my ds was 9/10. they have to refer you if you ask. Enid

I had a very similar list with me when I went to GP about my daughter.

We were refered very quickly, and got an immidiate diagnosis. (ADHA and AS) Having the diagnosis has really helped us, as we now know what we are dealing with. aslo the medication we got for her ADHD is amazing, and at 4pm, rather than being hysterical after scool, doing no homework and causing uproar in the family, I now have my fabulous girl back. She is calm, bright and has made a new friend.

Really push for a referal, don't give up, good luck at the appt, let us know how it goes.

Harmony

Thanks you all for your support,I will come back and let you know how we got on tomorrow

I have a feeling its going to be a long road though......