Simon Way

Age limit on Statement?

Hi All

This is my first post. I am currently living in Japan and my eldest son (now 10) has Aspergers. I am considering a return to the U.K at some point but the timing is difficult.

Do you know if there is an age limit on children being statemented? Does it get harder as they get older?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

It is possible to get a Statement for an older child, but it is a lot harder I think.

At the third attempt I got my son a Statement when he was just over 15.

A Statement stays with a child until they leave school, at either 16, 18 or with some special schools 19.

If a child goes onto further education, they are looked after by Connexions, and their Statement is replaced by a Section 140. This sets out their educational special needs and the provision needed, but unlike a Statement it isn't a legal document.

I think this is correct, but in case I'm out of date hopefully someone else will be along soon!

Bid :)

Hi Simon, we have just got a stement for our 13yr old daughter but are preparing to go to appeal on section 2,3 and 4 .

We were told it is very unusual in this area for children of this age to get a statement for A/S as they feel the schools in this area are able to meet the needs of children with A/S within a normal setting.

<amazing how many people I know fo now in my LEA who say just the opposite>

I think you maybe need to start gathering your evidence as soon as possible, keep diaries, school reports etc... If your son has seen any professionals over there, make sure you have the reports at the ready

Is your son being schooled in Japan? Is he having difficulties there?

You don't say how long you have been in Japan, or whether your son has been schooled in the UK previously, if so, maybe you can use old reports from the UK too, if he has had difficulties over here before.

Remember a diagnosis of A/S will not entitle your son to a statement, it will only be given if you can prove that A/S significantly affects his ability to access education <I'm sure if this is not correct, someone will put me right!>

Use all information you can get your hands on but be prepared for your LEA to use your 'difficult' circumstances against you!

Our Ed Psych still drags up my divorce of 10 yrs ago as a reason that my daughter is so very anxious, so I can almost hear them trying to blame your sons difficulties on your relocation and not on an educational need!

Good luck with everything, it is tricky enough trying to sort out everything when all is local, must be very hard when you are trying to make plans from such a distance.

Anne x

Thank you both for your advice.

Jesse (mother is Japanese) was born in Japan but has been educated in an English-language setting. We have a physician's report (American) diagnosing Aspergers and school reports that mention difficulties but that is about it.

One main reason for us to be considering a return to the UK is that there is very limited understanding of special needs children here and we are looking for more support.

On the other hand, we are more than a little concerned that his condition added to the fact that he is half-Japanese would make him a prime target for bullying in mainstream school in England. Of course, until we get back and settled we would not even have an LEA to apply to.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Hi Simon, we have just got a stement for our 13yr old daughter but are preparing to go to appeal on section 2,3 and 4 .

We were told it is very unusual in this area for children of this age to get a statement for A/S as they feel the schools in this area are able to meet the needs of children with A/S within a normal setting.

<amazing how many people I know fo now in my LEA who say just the opposite>

I think you maybe need to start gathering your evidence as soon as possible, keep diaries, school reports etc... If your son has seen any professionals over there, make sure you have the reports at the ready

Is your son being schooled in Japan? Is he having difficulties there?

You don't say how long you have been in Japan, or whether your son has been schooled in the UK previously, if so, maybe you can use old reports from the UK too, if he has had difficulties over here before.

Remember a diagnosis of A/S will not entitle your son to a statement, it will only be given if you can prove that A/S significantly affects his ability to access education <I'm sure if this is not correct, someone will put me right!>

Use all information you can get your hands on but be prepared for your LEA to use your 'difficult' circumstances against you!

Our Ed Psych still drags up my divorce of 10 yrs ago as a reason that my daughter is so very anxious, so I can almost hear them trying to blame your sons difficulties on your relocation and not on an educational need!

Good luck with everything, it is tricky enough trying to sort out everything when all is local, must be very hard when you are trying to make plans from such a distance.

Anne x

Ohayou Simon :)

Welcome to the forum. I teach for a Japan owned language school and spend a lot of time in the company of Japanese people. I'm hoping to go there one day.

As others have said, it gets harder to get a statement as children get older - I began the process when my daughter was 15, after a late diagnosis of AS. Our LEA stalled the process until we ran out of time: she was 16 and a half and running out of educational options. Fortunately she is now at college and better supported than she ever was at school.

An increasing number of LEA's are now delegating more SEN funds to schools and bypassing the statementing process so it's becoming generally harder to prove that your child needs a statement, - this is affecting all age groups. It's not impossible, and there is a robust appeal system if your child is turned down. It helps to have the support of a school, and professionals who can back you up.

I doubt whether a statement will be just given to your son when you come back here - you will probably have to fight or it, and persist for a long time, building the proof that your son needs extra help. As your son has no educational history here, I can see the LEA adopting a "wait and see" approach to see how your son copes in mainstream here.

I'm talking about England here, note that the system in Scotland is a bit different. If you decide where in the UK you want to go, I'm sure parents here can tell you more about the local system and the schools.

K x

Ohayou Kathryn....O-genki desu ka

Thanks for your reply. Reading a bit on the Internet I have resigned myself to the fact that it is going to be a struggle.

It seems that at first he will have to go into mainstream school and we'll have to work from there. Is there any preparation that we should be doing now to make things easier?

Do you think that the American doctor's diagnosis here will carry any weight? We plan to reside in Kent.

regards

Simon

Ohayou Simon :)

Welcome to the forum. I teach for a Japan owned language school and spend a lot of time in the company of Japanese people. I'm hoping to go there one day.

As others have said, it gets harder to get a statement as children get older - I began the process when my daughter was 15, after a late diagnosis of AS. Our LEA stalled the process until we ran out of time: she was 16 and a half and running out of educational options. Fortunately she is now at college and better supported than she ever was at school.

An increasing number of LEA's are now delegating more SEN funds to schools and bypassing the statementing process so it's becoming generally harder to prove that your child needs a statement, - this is affecting all age groups. It's not impossible, and there is a robust appeal system if your child is turned down. It helps to have the support of a school, and professionals who can back you up.

I doubt whether a statement will be just given to your son when you come back here - you will probably have to fight or it, and persist for a long time, building the proof that your son needs extra help. As your son has no educational history here, I can see the LEA adopting a "wait and see" approach to see how your son copes in mainstream here.

I'm talking about England here, note that the system in Scotland is a bit different. If you decide where in the UK you want to go, I'm sure parents here can tell you more about the local system and the schools.

K x