Sign in to follow this  
loobylou2

What to expect?

Bit cheeky really but I'm going to ask two questions here! My daughter (14) has Bi-polar disorde and suspected Aspergers. CAMHS have been waiting for her mood swings to settle before going ahead with an as dx and that is finally happening! She had the first stage of the assesment where i had to answer about 3 milloin questions (well it felt like that many, honest!) and now they that she has been stable for a couple of months they have said that she will have an ADOS. What does that involve? will I be with her or will she have to be on her own? The other thing that CAMHS mentioned this morning was some help for her psychosis with the Early Interventions Team. Has anybody had anything to do with them? We are really pleased as things finally seem to be moving for her and she hopefully is getting some proper help instead of just medication reviews! Thanks in advance!!

The ADOS test is a series of assessments usually done on video. It is modified to suit the age of each child and there are several components to it. (if done properly, and often it isn't, it should take a total of almost 3 hours... not all done at once but over a period of time because you don't normally have 3 hours in one appointment!) I can't remember all of tests invovled but I remember with Bill he was given some objects and had to make up a story using these objects. He was also asked to describe how a person cleans their teeth using verbal and miming instructions; he was asked about friendships and his understanding of relationships, conversation, social rules etc. There was more to it but I can't remember it all, and I wasn't present during any of it, I only know these bits because of what he told me and from the report that was made.

It was quite some time ago when this test was done, but hopefully some one who has more recent experience of this test will come along.

I know the consultant who was in charge of Bill's case said that he didn't use the ADOS as his only reference for dx; he took into account reports from other professionals (EP, SALT, school etc) and developmental history.

Flora X

Thanks Flora, it all sounds very thorough. CAMHS said that it would probably be about 6 weeks before the appointment, so plenty of time to find out some more about it! It will be interesting to hear what she says regarding the friendships and communication as these are the things she struggles with most. Thanks again!

what is an ados test for to dx aspergers or bi polar?i keep hearing about ados but never really knew what it was

got the appointment through for the ados assesment on the 4th of july, have been told that it will be a 3 hour appointment :o Think my brain will have turned to mush by then, never mind hers!! :lol: the letter stated that the appointment is for both of us to attend so it looks as though I will be there at the same time. I always am there with her for the 'normal' appointments with the pysc, so they must have their reasons i suppose! Could be interesting as she will probably be on top form with a new doc and a different room! She always gets really hyper as soon as we go into CAMHS so at least they will see her at her 'worst'! :P

have been told that it will be a 3 hour appointment :o

This is good, because it means they are going to do the full ADOS which gives a much more accurate picture than just doing part of the test.

Good luck with it all.

Flora

Thanks Flora. Have a feeling we are going to be exhausted afterwards! Any idea how long it will take to hear the conclusions? I do know that we won't get a definite diagnosis from just the assesment but wondered if they would say maybe or def not that day.

ADOS is an Autistic Diagnostic Observation Schedule, (a semi structured assessment of communication, social interaction and play or imaginative use of materials for individuals who have been referred becuase of possible Autism). Copied from the top of my son's assessment report lol!

My son had his ADOS on April 14th, it lasted about 1hr 30mins, but he is only 7. We were politely asked if we'd like to 'go and have a cup of tea somewhere' and come back in about an hour. We had a follow up appointment on May 13th, where the assessor (different one from usual) gave us her report. She went through everything that she did with ds, telling us his reactions and responses. His usual assessor was present through the ADOS and was also at the follow up meeting, at the end of which she gave us her final 'rough' report (to be finished off and sent to us to approve before being sent to the school and GP).

Basically they do a series of 'test like games' whilst at the same time are observing everything the child says and does.

As mentioned in a previous post, my ds also had to (pretending that the table was a sink) describe how he would go about brushing his teeth, he went on to give a very detailed account, even saying that he shouldn't forget to take the plug out or he might flood the bathroom! He was asked to explain what a friend was, he just said all of his friends go to school. They also said that he was very 'matter of fact' and found it difficult to sit without fidgeting, there was little or no social chit chat or give-and-take. My son's ADOS was not done on video though.

HTH

Claire