Sign in to follow this  
racey

is it legal??

in my last posting i explained that it had been suggested that my 9 yr old son goes on to reduced hours at school for the time being, this of course not being perminent just until he's seen by the paediatrian. the school refered it to the LEA and they have decided he is to carry on being in school full time,

I was wondering if this is entirely legal as he had a doctors note stating j is suffering with anxiety and signs of depression due to the fact he is so unhappy at school.

in my last posting i explained that it had been suggested that my 9 yr old son goes on to reduced hours at school for the time being, this of course not being perminent just until he's seen by the paediatrian. the school refered it to the LEA and they have decided he is to carry on being in school full time,

I was wondering if this is entirely legal as he had a doctors note stating j is suffering with anxiety and signs of depression due to the fact he is so unhappy at school.

I would go back and talk to the GP who has suggested a reduced timetable, it may be that in the eyes of the LEA world your son isnt ill and can still attend school, your GP needs to maybe look into deciding weather your son is too ill too actually attend any school time table, if your GP signs him off for more than 15 days then the LEA have to provide him with an alternative education, in my areas LEA when J was off school for 6 weeks they said that one he didnt fit the medical criteria for home tutor, and second it would take them an other 5 weeks to look at alternative education, so J did go back part time, with the aggrement of me and the headteacher and the LEA excepted this as FLEXI SCHOOLING.

I think what the LEA are persuming is that the GP hasnt fully signed him off school.

On the other hand, you could decide to flexi school him yourself, keep medical evidence incase the LEA try to scare you with unauthorised attendances, for the afternoons he is at home, as long as your son has a reasonable explanation to the non attendance you have not committed an offence, at court if it went that far would be very angry with your LEA that they havent made reasonable adjustments to your sons education.

So you can take it in your own hands, let him part time attend, and if the LEA threaten court use your evidence.

Me personally if he is this anxious and depressed I would request further assessments and be signed off school fully, to prevent the added stress on both of you.

J is attending part time, every time we increase it his anxiety worsens and his behaviour esculates.

J at the moment is off with a broken arm and not attending at all.

JsMum