Sign in to follow this  
David Matthew Baker

Back from the Adventure Camp in the Lakes

(Sorry to anyone who has already read this. Originally posted it in the positive thread but now decided it should have its own posting. Does anyone here have Mountain Leadership out of interest or know someone who does who might volunteer to walk with some youngsters?)

The last 4 days have been really good though been away so not been able to post on here. I've been across to the Lake District with a group of children and adults from the church I used to go to when I was younger. We left on the Friday night and predictably the kids were as high as kites and it was well after midnight by the time we got some of them settled and ready to sleep. Saturday was the first day of activities. My group went kayaking in the morning and sailing in the afternoon. Whilst on Sunday we did a (very) short walk (including some scrambling :)) and Rock Climbing on an indoor wall. Yesterday we were just based at the hostel and played various games before coming back. Had really good weather for the whole time.

Kayaking on the Saturday was fun though I wasn't paddling properly. We didn't have any curved blades for left handers so I had to use a flat bladed paddle. For some reason I just couldn't get myself paddling properly with it hence my arms ended up aching by the time we'd finished. That said we had a good time out on Derwentwater. First we just paddled across to an area of the lake that was more sheltered, then did a bit of follow the leader, followed by some tag (we had a bit of fabric looped through the handle at the rear of the kayak that the others had to grab), we then formed up into a raft for some games running around on the kayaks and lastly made chariots (one person sits on their paddle in the gap between two kayaks holding them together and the other stands up infront of them with a foot in each boat and paddles while standing up - we managed to have 5 lots up and working at once and only had 1 person fall in). The boat I had to use was really nice (used to belong to the person who instructed us - he's also the instructor for the sessions I go to on Thursdays) and has convinced me I would be okay with a smaller boat it just needs high sides. I managed to stay dry for the entire session and not get anywhere near falling in at all. Typical really as I had a new drysuit on that I wanted to test out I stayed perfectly dry. Did have some of the kids worried though as apparently I kept going a very impressive shade of purple. It's a bit tight at the moment but have been told not to cut the seals down until I have worn it for a while and it's had time to stretch.

Next up was the sailing in the afternoon. I'm not sure it wasn't the first time I've been out in a sailing boat. We had small 4-5 people boats. I went out with the lads from my group, (in total we had 8 children in the group. 3 boys and 5 girls and 2 leaders, the other leader was female) and one of the people running the activity. Out of the 3 lads who would pick an activity that had been their favourite they went for sailing and I think I'd agree with them. We had lovely weather for it and hence managed to travel at some great speed. Hanging over the edge of the boat to try and counter the force of the wind and keep the boat level was exhilerating. We also put into one of the islands for a short stop and I used that opportunity to test my dry suit. The only problem with it was I was perhaps too boyant. I don't think I'd ever get very far swimming in it. I also need a long sleeved variant of my Paramo top to go under it. As it was my arms felt a bit cold when swimming. It was a warm day so I didn't put on the under fleece that came with the drysuit. After that we went out for some more time sailing. We picked up some water at one point as it went a bit far over but stayed upright. Also a couple of the lads started looking a bit cold but by rearranging positioning in the boat we managed to make them feel more comfortable. I ended up at the front catching most of the spray and not caring a bit. :) We had a little fun getting it back into the marina as we over shot and then the wind died down (I think mainly it was because we ended up in a sheltered spot) and in the end decided the easiest thing to do was for me to jump over and give us a little push to get us going again. I got rather used to jumping in and out of the boat. It really was good fun. :D

On that night (and actually also each morning) we had a short period of worship. For Saturday night we all (as our groups) had to come up with things we were good at. Which meant me, 2 of the boys and one of the girls ended up doing some very quick sketches as we'd said we were good at drawing. They managed to recognised who we'd drawn at least. The others played some instruments and the other lad allowed the girls to apply make up on him. Which they then enjoyed winding him up about for the rest of the time across there! :rolleyes: The other things we tended to do in the evening (or at least me, a few of the younger leaders and the majority of the kids) was to go and play some games on the lawn. Football was a typical favourite and so was the frisbee that one of the younger leaders brought along.

Sunday morning saw us out for a walk. We walked from Barrow House Youth Hostel (where we were staying and as always I can't recommend it enough - still love that place after all these years) along to Cat Gill. Once we got there we then scrambled up the Gill for quite a while until we reached a section that would have needed a rope. Unfortunatally the mountain leader didn't think we had enough time to set it up and continue scrambling up the gill so we had to go up on the path beside it. :( Still we'd all enjoyed the scramble to that point and also managed to get a 5 year old up it (we'd been joined by a few other adults from our party and one of their children - that adult and child plus his brother actually joined us for kayaking the day before). We then continued up to Lady's Rake and then turned to head for Ashness Bridge (which is just above the hostel and where we had lunch). Again the group were brilliant and it was a real pleasure to be out and about with them. :D

That afternoon we then went climbing (on the indoor wall in Keswick - next year there is a chance they could be back outside as one of the leaders will have his single pitch award). We started off with a crash course in how to belay before the kids did some basic climbs and belayed for each other. One of the kids belayed and we had another also holding onto the rope for safety (plus early on an adult was always very close by). The kids then either climbed or went on the boldering wall (a wall which you don't need to be harnessed to but can't go above 3m on. They also had fun seeing how long they could hold onto a very steep section of overhang boldering wall (with a substantial crash mat under it). The lads also got me to have a go. I manage 20 secs though some of them later beat me. We also played some games on the boldering wall. Seeing how far along it we could traverse and also Simon says. For Simon says, Simon the leader for that activity told us which limbs we were allowed to use whilst holding onto the wall. After a couple had came off he allowed us to stand down and return to the seats in the middle of the room before calling out the next set of limbs we were allowed to use. I made the 2nd round once but then decided to sit out the rest of it (and didn't go back on the wall at all) as my back started to hurt when he allowed us to use 2 hands and one foot. I decided I didn't want to over do it and not be much use for the rest of the camp. The kids enjoyed themselves though. I still personally prefered what we did when I used to go as a child which was climb on an outside proper rock face.

Prior to tea that night we had a very short game of football which lasted for about 5-10 mins. During which time I managed to slide over on the grass (or one of the mole hills) and cut my leg. So had to go off and find some medi wipes. Luckily it wasn't particularly deep though it did look impressive as it's about 3in. long and I had blood running down my leg. It scabbed over fairly quickly and apart from a little discomfort at times didn't stop me doing anything. My leg does look a bit of a sight at the moment though as it also got scatched in other places over about a foot and a half area. Oops. At least it wasn't one of the kids. I wasn't the only one who had commented on the grass been rather slippy however as one of the other younger leaders had slipped numerous times the night before. Still you can't let such things stop you. After tea our group met up as we had to prepare a prayer to start that nights session. That session was rather interesting as one of the lads (bear in mind my group was Key Stage 3 students and mainly ones from Year 8 (12-13 Year Olds) decided to play with the young childrens toys whilst we were waiting. Some how me and the other 2 lads ended up joining in and moving onto the phonetic alphabet, which a couple of the girls helped us with when they arrived and soon the whole thing just decended into fits of giggles which none of us (me included) seemed able to stop. The other group leader tried when she arrived but in the end had to ask her dad (who was in the same room and a head teacher for help). Still at least they were all enjoying themselves which as far as I'm concerned is what such trips are about. There were comments later on that perhaps our group got on a bit too well together. I have a feeling I was probably included in that. I'm just used to having to work in that way at the special school. Oh well, it was fun. Though I did hear the only complaint of the camp that night from one of my lads. A complaint I agreed with. The camp wasn't long enough. As we knew we only had a day left. They also talked me into seeing if it is possible to arrange a walking camp (D. of E. style). Problem is that means I need to find some one with Mountain Leadership who'd be up to do it. Ideally for free to keep it affordable. (That's the main reason the camp works so well in the first place.)

On the last day as I mention at the start we were just at the hostel. The highlight of the day was probably the 'Smugglers versus Coastguards' game we played. In which there was a set of cards and the Smugglers had to try and get past the Coastguards with out been tagged. If they were tagged the spoils went in the Coastguards bin and if they got through it went in their bin. The winning team was the one with the most after each team had played as Coastguards and Smugglers. We also had a good scavenger hunt and later (which wasn't so good because the teams could have done with been more balanced) a game of rounders.

Overall it was a really good camp and I really want to go next year. In fact I plan on contacting the leader of the other camps (as they do more than one a year) to check if they have enough leaders. I was rather tired when I got back but it was one of the most fun things I'd done in a long time. I do need to get more involved with it and perhaps organise some activities myself once I have qualifications. I know some of the other young leaders would also be happy to help as I briefly discussed it with them. Would really like to find a mountain leader who could do walking with the lads who wanted to too. They were so good for me (I actually ended up spending a lot of time round the hostel with them too as they wanted me to join in) and so eager to take part I'd do anything I could for them. That's all you really want in the end I suppose. :D Only slight disappointment is I didn't do anything I can add to my Mountain Leader log book. Still should have time for that later in the week. Might also have to see if they need any help at the Churches Youth Groups. I do love working with youngsters. One of the lads from my group gave me a big grin each time he saw me. It is suprising how satesfying something as simple as that can be. :thumbs: (Well rambled on enough for now. Do you think I enjoyed it? :rolleyes: Now I'm sounding like one of the kids from school. :rolleyes: )

EDIT: My bro will be telling me I'm doing crit damage with a wall of text again if he sees this post. Oops! :(

Its own thread?

More like its own novel. Don't your fingers get tired?

Sounds like you had a whale of a time!

Congrats on the long weekend, and the even longer post (come on - that's what you've been doing for four days - typing! :lol: )

Hope you didn't leave your canoe too near the camp fire... it rots the glue you know. You can't have your kayak and heat it ;)

:notworthy::thumbs:

:D

Blimey.

How did you have enough energy left to post all that?! :):notworthy:

Sounds like a great trip - puts my weekend to shame. :rolleyes:

K x

Sounds Great DMB reminds me of my childhood. I went to many fitness camps with my friends during the school holidays and we still talk about them and have many laughs about it. Still in touch with those friends after all these years.

The highest mountain I ever climbed was Kintamani in Bali, it took us three hours and the last hour was razor blade sharp rock so the slightest slip would cut you like a razor blade. But we soldiered on it was a really steep mountain, I have the photos I should dig them out, as they were amazing, we actually were above the clouds, pure bliss. But exhausting and truly needed a guide which we had as they said it was too dangerous to do without a trained mountain leader like yourself. Some areas were just too dangerous and a novice really wouldnt make it up safely. He warned us about this.

We finally got to the summit and there was a crater it was steaming, we sat around the edge and the leader pulled out a flute and started playing it, I wondered how on earth he had any air left in his lungs to play a flute. But he did, and we all sat around the crater feeling the warmth of the steam and the warm ground listening to the flute. It just added that final touch. A few years later they closed this mountain to the public as they were afraid it would become active. Well that was my first thought after trekking up there for 3 hours. :rolleyes: When I saw the crater and the steam I wanted to rush back down, :lol: but the leader settled our nerves with the flute. That was part of the plan. No doubt I wasnt the first to react like this. :rolleyes:

Great way to keep fit. I think I will stick to bushwalking, its a lot easier.

Fran :D

S'not fair - you always have much more exciting adventures than me! :)

My weekend is much easier to type.....

Swim, lego, star wars, food shop, swim, star wars, bionicles, star wars, swim, lego, walk, drawing, star wars, reading, k'nex, lego, star wars, painting, swim........................... :hypno::lol:

Oops I meant Mount Batur, the suburb was Kintamani.

Hey, I found this on Youtube this is the way to go, oh gosh I certainly would have preferred to make my decent this way, I had the shakes going down over the razor blade rocks on the way down.

Here it is on youtube so nice to watch, seems like yesterday I was there at the summit.

Paragliding is pretty scarey but best to do as doubles, with an experienced paraglider. I did it once, felt like I was jumping out of an aeroplane, screamed for the first minute :lol:

:)

Edited by Frangipani

Its own thread?

More like its own novel. Don't your fingers get tired?

I'm quite a quick typer. Whilst at University (and also my last year at school) I did data entry as a summer job. It was probably the most boring thing I've ever done but it does seem to have taught me to type quickly. Probably also helps that I was brought up around computers. I'm not much better when it comes to text messages either. I got complained at the other day that I sent one member of staff a full incident report by text message. I thought it was just a brief outline of the problem. :rolleyes: He told me it would have taken him less time to get back to school than it would have to send the message (I was up at the local mainstream school for inclusion purposes). He seemed rather suprised when the kids told him I'd written it in about 2-3mins. It was only 4 messages long. Personally that was quite conservative from me. When I text my friends in Kenya 10 messages long isn't uncommon. I often get told that I use 50 words where one would have sufficed. Oops!

The other problem is I just start typing and before I know it I have a post this long. :unsure:

Sounds like you had a whale of a time!

Congrats on the long weekend, and the even longer post (come on - that's what you've been doing for four days - typing! :lol: )

Hope you didn't leave your canoe too near the camp fire... it rots the glue you know. You can't have your kayak and heat it ;)

:notworthy::thumbs:

Camp fire? :( Didn't have one of those I'm afraid though would have loved one. Please don't tempt my pyromaniac tendancies. ;) I'd have to try and remember some camp fire songs though. It's so long since I've been at one.

Ging gang gooley, gooley, gooley, gooley, watcha

Ging gang goo, ging gang goo...

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head. Perhaps we could add our favourite camp fire songs to this thread or start a new one. Would be interesting to see what people like and remember. :)

Long Post? No not seen one of those yet. I've never yet reached the character limit of the board. I believe I have on text messages in the past though. Mind you that is probably a lower target.

Whale (or is it wail) of a time. Yes I did. Just wish they happened more often. Now trying to contact the leader of the other 2 camps that happen soon to see if they need any help. Also hopefully might be going on one with school for the secondary age students. :) I'd forgotten how much I like these camps. Well not quite true I still remember trying to organise one for peeps on the forum but didn't get many takers. I should have another go at some stage though to keep costs down it would help if we could find people qualified to lead the various activities. That's how the church does it. Any budding sailers, kayakers or walkers hiding around on here?

Unfortunatally I don't yet have my own kayak. Not sure what I'd want and can't really afford it. The club I attend also has plenty of boats I can borrow (for �2 a time). I've only purchased the equipment that was harder to find in the correct size or not supplied by the club (hence the drysuit which is currently stretching in my mum's room). Should also have a left handed paddle coming soon as they're a bit tricky to get your hands on as the club doesn't have that many of them.

Fran sounds great. I really like walking. Well to be honest I don't always like the uphill slog but love the feeling when I get to the top. Especially if the view is good. Didn't make the top today as we decided it was too dangerous but I doubt we'd have seen anything. I think we'd have still been in the cloud rather than above it but do love it when you get to look down at the top of clouds. Wish I'd had a camera when I was at Uni one time as we saw the Cathedral floating on a sea of cloud and it looked like something out of a childrens story.

Paragliding would be fun to try. I expect it is expensive though. Will have to wait a while before I can afford to try such things. That said would love to try skydiving, scuba diving and various other activities too. After sailing on Saturday I wouldn't mind doing some more of that too. I think the camp has reawakened my desire to do even more of the outdoor pursuits. I just wish more peeps could get the opportunity to try them, particularly children. :)

EDIT: By using 3 posts this time it doesn't look so bad. ;)

Edited by David Matthew Baker