Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

the post about attatchment disorder

can someone help me find it, Ive put in search but nothing came up, would like to look into this more and there was a post recently on this.

JsMum

Attachment Issues, how to lessen?

is this it?

Where is this one, help/advice/ or general?

Has anyone actually read the symptoms of an AD child, I have a guide for school from a an educational site, the techneques and attitudes towards a child with AD is very disturbing and from the description a child could have ADHD/AS and even possibly the PDA so possibly been manaeged wrongly.

I can only email the guide as its pdf abode.

Im reading further into it because I have concerns over Js control/ manipulative issues.

JsMum

we have two Reactive Attachment Disorder girls, and we struggle to treat them as the guides say because it seems so cold, but then again, we get sick of having discussions that go round and round because they can't accept they are wrongor out of control. this morning one spent 40 minutes talking round in circles about how i was mean because i wasnt walking round a supermarket but she was, when i was right next to her pushing the trolley! they are incredibly maniplative and cunning so the upper hand has to always stay with the adults or there's no getting it back

we have two Reactive Attachment Disorder girls, and we struggle to treat them as the guides say because it seems so cold, but then again, we get sick of having discussions that go round and round because they can't accept they are wrongor out of control. this morning one spent 40 minutes talking round in circles about how i was mean because i wasnt walking round a supermarket but she was, when i was right next to her pushing the trolley! they are incredibly maniplative and cunning so the upper hand has to always stay with the adults or there's no getting it back

J gets highly anxious in a supermarket. sensory issues especially effected, this esculates into behaviour and control/power issues, so its a spiral.

could it be that more support for them when they are in supermarkets may help.

we have a really good plan for shopping now using social stories and visual support, its really helping as he is prepared and he understands why he is anxious and there is choices and options to help him.

Just a thought.

are the girls yours or do you mean your a teacher and they are in your classroom.

J already has a diagnosis of ODD so I feel there is a lot of similair behaviours that are in AD and the rest are connencted to his SIDs but I am finding it interesting to read on AD especially how the education departement want teachers to manage them.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi All I have been on hols and am catching up here.

I have a book that might be helpful.Attachment disorder was on the list of possible Dx for Ben so I read around a bit.Although it is looking as though attachment disoreder has now been ruled out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway the book is caled ''inside I'm hurting ''.It is written by Louise Michelle Bomber.I found it very useful especially re school issues and support.Karen.

J gets highly anxious in a supermarket. sensory issues especially effected, this esculates into behaviour and control/power issues, so its a spiral.

could it be that more support for them when they are in supermarkets may help.

we have a really good plan for shopping now using social stories and visual support, its really helping as he is prepared and he understands why he is anxious and there is choices and options to help him.

Just a thought.

are the girls yours or do you mean your a teacher and they are in your classroom.

J already has a diagnosis of ODD so I feel there is a lot of similair behaviours that are in AD and the rest are connencted to his SIDs but I am finding it interesting to read on AD especially how the education departement want teachers to manage them.

JsMum

my (biological) parents are their foster carers. the worse of the two is just a massive control freak and will try to dominate everything, no matter how careful and supportive you are. that said, one day she'll be fine and seem like a normal happy girl, another she just switches and back come all the AD behaviours. we've tried giving them personalised shopping lists of things to collect on the way round. they argue over if the other looked(!) at the thing the other was meant to pick up. we've tried giving rewards for doing behaving in certain ways in sections of the store. nothing seems to work or everything works depending on what mood they're in. i've given up trying to find a reason. they're fantastic kids so its just a case of seeing round the really annoying parts and the strops and screaming fits and concentrating on when they do respond. probably not the correct way to deal with it but it seems the only way to stay sane!

we have however found that the worst responds amazingly well to completely shaking up all the rules constantly. all the rules of foster care say routine and stability, so this is tricky but by changing the way we do everything every day for no reason other than 'because i decided to' means she can't think fast enough to find an argument. (even the frustration tantrums stop!) in my experience abused and neglected children behave a lot like kids with ASDs so she should really hate the changing routines, but so far there haven't been any visible adverse effects

Nobby nobs, if you where to change rules on my son he would be terribly confused, frustrated and to be honest hurrendous, with J things have to be set in stone, and the answer of because I said would totally confuse him and he would continue his behaviour further because it wouldnt be good enough answer.

the visual shopping list is working with J and he has choices in the supermarket when he is having panic attacks, sensory attacks, for one is he can walk straight back out, wait unil he is composed and then try again, we make purposely made trips just so J can get use to it as he enjoys the shopping list and placing it in the trolly, he enjoys the familiar staff who talk to him and share life with him, shopping he enjoys, its the noise, the crowds, the lights that distrub him, that make him unwell.

I have it tons easier with having just one child, and I can give him that one to one and divert any conflict with others, if he was with another child who insisted on control and manipulative he would be very competetive and increase his need for control so having two girls who dominate against each other must be extreamly exhausting.

So if a child is diagnosed with AD it means that they have been neglected and abused then, I havent done this, I have cared for all of Js needs and I have not harmed him in anyway, would that be the impression of others if a child has an AD? J has a multi diagnosis he has lots of difficulties, two or three include manipulation and control, he has a confirmation that he has ASD and SID on top of his ADHD and Dyslexia but he is a very complex lad.

JsMum

Nobby nobs, if you where to change rules on my son he would be terribly confused, frustrated and to be honest hurrendous, with J things have to be set in stone, and the answer of because I said would totally confuse him and he would continue his behaviour further because it wouldnt be good enough answer.

the visual shopping list is working with J and he has choices in the supermarket when he is having panic attacks, sensory attacks, for one is he can walk straight back out, wait unil he is composed and then try again, we make purposely made trips just so J can get use to it as he enjoys the shopping list and placing it in the trolly, he enjoys the familiar staff who talk to him and share life with him, shopping he enjoys, its the noise, the crowds, the lights that distrub him, that make him unwell.

I have it tons easier with having just one child, and I can give him that one to one and divert any conflict with others, if he was with another child who insisted on control and manipulative he would be very competetive and increase his need for control so having two girls who dominate against each other must be extreamly exhausting.

So if a child is diagnosed with AD it means that they have been neglected and abused then, I havent done this, I have cared for all of Js needs and I have not harmed him in anyway, would that be the impression of others if a child has an AD? J has a multi diagnosis he has lots of difficulties, two or three include manipulation and control, he has a confirmation that he has ASD and SID on top of his ADHD and Dyslexia but he is a very complex lad.

JsMum

Hi.I wanted to offer a bit of support and also have some information that might be interesting.Although attachment disorder has now probably been ruled out with Ben it was a very real consideration.It has always been recognised that I was never neglectful or abusive....I was unfortunately not well when he was at a vulnerable age.So there are many causes for AD. >:D<<'>

I have been very interested in reading up on the criteria for attachment disorder and AS.As far as I understand the diagnostic critera say that a child can have AS or Attachment disorder but not both...so it may be worth investigating further.Karen.