I might be getting a new job as a baker, where I already work. It's not proper baking really, just taking things out the freezer and putting them in the oven and setting a timer. The woman who does it at the moment loves the job, but they want to change her hours. They want her to stay until 8am, but she wants to carry on going home before the other bakers arrive at 4, because she can't stand them :lol:

The good thing is that I would be in there by myself. I am getting a bit annoyed lately because we keep getting so many new starters, and it's hard working with someone following you around all night. Two of them are really horrible, although one of them got sacked on Saturday, which means he will be replaced with yet another one. The other two are nice enough, but completely chaotic. If you stack the boxes neatly, you get more on and it's less likely to fall over, but even if I start it off neatly, they come along and don't follow the pattern. This is not just me being pedantic, we all have to do it neatly. I find myself getting more and more frustrated, and by 4, I would like to work by myself for the rest of the night.

In the bakery though, I would be all by myself until the bakers come in at 4, and I would have half an hour break then. They are very cliquey, so unlikely to try and involve me in any way, and they will be on the other side of the bakery anyway, so I would easily be able to ignore them. Then at 6 some girls come in, who would be working on my side, but they are real back-stabbing and two-faced, and always laughing really loudly. I would be with them for two hours without a break.

I'm a bit worried though, that they might change their minds again (about how to run the bakery) and I might end up having to work days (which I can't afford) or work with another person in the bakery.

So I'm not really sure what to do at the moment. It sounds like the perfect job, but it could well change in a few months' time.

Sounds good, Tally. If you tried it for a while, and it didn't work out, could you go back to your current job?

K x

Ooh, sounds like a plan. Time on your own, yummy bread for brekkie .... :thumbs:

Let us know what you decide. No good thinking "what if ..." or you'll never take the plunge >:D<<'>

They are looking to take someone off our department, so I think I could only go back if another person agreed to move, which is unlikely.

Hi Tally

Could you not discuss the issues you raised with your supervisor, or some other line management person who could advise you.

Kinda

I said no. I think I would have said yes if I'd had more time, but by the time I thought it through, they could have hired someone new.

Look at it this way - If the job comes up again you'll maybe have had time to work out all the positives and negatives, if it doesn't, maybe the next vacancy will be one that you feel 100% sure about :)

:D

I expect the opportunity will come up again and again. They are only offering one week's training. After that there won't even be anyone in the whole shop they could ask for help.

The only other job going that would result in no one liking me is Night Manager, and my feelings about that vacancy are utterly unequivocal.

They're still on and on at me about it. On Sunday morning I agreed to try it out for one night (tonight), but only because I didn't think he was going to let me go home until I agreed. And then this morning another manager started asking me about it again! I wish they'd all just go away and leave me alone.

Good luck for tonight Tally. I hope one way or another, it helps you come to a decision.

K x

I learned how the jam gets in the doughnut!

It was OK, and I would like to work by myself.

But it would mean Saturday night off, which means losing out on my Sunday premium. As my financial position is bad enough already, I simply can't afford that. And it is less physical, which means I would have to exercise in my free time, otherwise I would get fat. It would have to be better than my current job, and paid more, in order to justify it.

So I said no AGAIN. Hopefully this time they will listen, because next time my answer will be, "#### off!"

Well at least you're sure now, and they can't say you didn't consider it seriously! Something better might come along - you never know.

And now you've got me wondering - how does the jam get in the doughnut?! :huh::)

K x

Well, you inject it really. You have this bit pot of jam with two narrow tubes coming out of it. You stick the doughnut on the tubes and press a button, which pumps a specified amount of jam through the tubes and into the doughnuts. If you have an odd number of doughnuts, you have to leave one tube uncovered, and the jam squirts out all over the table :lol:

I fried, sugared, filled, packed, wrapped and stickered around 1000 doughnuts, but the baker made the dough and put them through the machine which rolls the dough into balls.