Sign in to follow this  
star

help in school

If a child had ASD but fitted in well to the primary school system - was well behaved, very bright and didn't cause the teacher any problems would they get any help at all in the school setting?

Bascially the only "need" would be social ie finding it more difficult to join in with the other children. I just wondered how schools help with this. If at all?

Would be very intersted in hearing your experiences.

Hi

I have a 6 year old whose now in P2. I'm happy to say that he's come on leaps and bounds, although still has some problems. However, even as recently as two years ago things were very different. R was branded 'unteachable' and his report said 'R's difficulties prevent him from making good progress in every area'. That was incredibly upsetting, but very true. Since nursery he's had 1-2-1 full-time support and I was actually told that because he can be aggressive, disruptive, etc (generally has big behavioural problems), that means that he'll more or less be assured of a high level of support. That same person (Educ Psych) told me that kids who have difficulties that aren't behavioural are less likely to be catered for because budgets, etc.

I personally believe that she who shouts the loudest gets. I made a bit of a nuisance by phoning and writing letters to the education dept insisting on support. Unfortunately, it's sad but gone are the days when support is automatically handed out. It does seem that we parents have to fight for things.

Best wishes

Caroline

If a child had ASD but fitted in well to the primary school system - was well behaved, very bright and didn't cause the teacher any problems would they get any help at all in the school setting?

Bascially the only "need" would be social ie finding it more difficult to join in with the other children. I just wondered how schools help with this. If at all?

Would be very intersted in hearing your experiences.

Hi under the SEN Code of practice your son could be assessed to look at his needs under his social difficulties, there is a lot the school can do to support your son and in Js school they have placed him in two key groups, an emotional well being one and a social and interaction group which looks at social behaviour.

You could aproach the SENCO and discuss this with her before going throw with an official assessment, it may be she can acccess this support without a statement of SEN, so there is lots your school can do to support your sons difficulties with socail issues, J started to really struggle a few terms ago as conversation and understanding has really increased in his peers, yet he hasnt and is very much like a six year old, socially and behaviourally.

First aproach your senco, if nothing is given then aproach for an assessment due to his ASD.

The school code of practice is here.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf

Good luck let me know how you get on.

JsMum

I think the SEN system is generally set up to catch those who are falling behind academically: although they are supposed to consider each child's situation individually, many LEA's are fixated on attainment and have unofficial criteria for statementing based on academic performance - eg only assessing children who are at least two levels below their peers.

Outside statements, if a school is struggling to provide extra help for all its children with SEN, those perceived to be "academically able" may get overlooked, more so if they are the kind of child who holds the stress in instead of letting it out in a disruptive or aggressive way which causes problems in the classroom.

My daughter was exactly like your description when she was at primary school. She had enough flashes of brilliance to prevent the school from worrying too much about her strange behaviour. She was never aggressive to others and would try hard to please. So her needs went unnoticed for 10 years.

K x

My sons classmates 'out grew' him by year 3, so J needed alot of adult encouragement to get him through the day.He was and still is very shy.

He was very much alone at breaks and lunchtimes and would just wander around the edge of the playground.It used to worry and upset me but he was quite contented, as he didn't want to join in with the other children.

He eventually became a buddy in the reception yard, he liked to help out more than play and the staff alllowed him to do this.

Its sad but some ASD children just like to be alone.

If your worried seek help because it can take an age to be reffered to the correct professional.

best wishes

gothschild x