Sign in to follow this  
jontytheartist

Study in Adults

I have heard that there is a national study going on(my wife saw on BBC) into Aspergers in adults.I have visted many 'psychologists' etc & have confirmed I have 'traits' of Aspergers.My question is-is this a diagnosis?,as they are reluctant to say it & they dont know if a label will help.

Is anyone else having/or had these experiences & what did you do?

Also does anyone know how to get involved in this national study?

Regards

Dave

My question is-is this a diagnosis?

I would assume not - whether it's enough for you is something different and whether a label will help is again personal preference. For me (I have a 'full' dx) it's been very mixed (a double-edged sword :unsure: - sorry, not sure that's the right saying).

Also does anyone know how to get involved in this national study?

I haven't heard anything recently, but I would make a guess that it's the prevalence study setting out to find out how many adults there are in the UK with ASDs. I assume this would only include full dx, although I still haven't seen their methods - I don't know who they're going to ask to find out - my GP knows, but is that a confidentiality issue? If they go through the LA/social services I wouldn't be counted as the support I'm getting is a mix of out of area and private (but funded by NHS).

Yes I presumed also it was the prevalence study, and therefore for it to be as accurate as possible, the study would only include those who are officially diagnosed.

As far as I understood it, they want to have the 'real' numbers, that is including the un-dx'ed adults. There's a thread with a link to the group which does the study, somewhere round here ...