Sign in to follow this  
Deedee

Social story for siblings operation??

Now I know you lot are brilliant for suggesting stuff and I have looked everywhere I usually use but I just CAN'T seem to find what I need so HELP!!!

DS2 has been given a date in August for a major spinal op :tearful: I'm absolutely terrified,but thats another story...

What I need is a social story or something to explain to M what is going to be happening..I am going with DS2 as DH 'cant do' hospitals :angry: so DH is going to learn the hard way that staying home is not the easy option either!

I need to explain that I am not going to be home at all (hospital is miles away) for 2 weeks,and neither is DS2 and that when he comes home,M is NOT to beat the living daylights out of DS2 as he currently does daily now...recovery is going to be challenging..with ops every 4 months or so afterwards. :wacko:

Any suggestions please peeps *short of just locking myself away with a large bottle of vodka til its all over* :whistle:

Thankyou XX

Hi,

It's very difficult to write a SS if i haven't met the kiddie :)

Here's a good starting point.......

http://www.frsd.k12.nj.us/autistic/Parent%...ies%20notes.htm

It might be an idea to break it down into several SS, as all that info might be a bit much for one.

>:D<<'>

Edit 'coz i forgot to day.............if you scroll down the page and click 'back' on the bottom left - there's more info.

Edited by smiley

Thanks Smiley thats a huge help :thumbs:

The bit that worries me is telling him I'll be away..I know he'll kick off,it's not that he cares about me, it'll just make him mad as it'll disrupt his routine :rolleyes:

I'll split it into manageable chunks for him and maybe do the 'going away' part before we go,then get dad to do the DS2 is sore bit while we're gone,then just before we come home a coming home one and redo the sore one??? Does that sound about right..can you tell I'm clueless :D

I admit to being plain terrified ( not just cos of the op he's having) but I just know M will remember for all of about a day if we're lucky that he's not to hit him.. :tearful:

Sounds good to me. :notworthy:

It depends on how long little 'un can retain the info for - or how long he needs to process it...

I know for my son, a SS has to be read frequently for about four days, before it sinks in! :rolleyes: But more than a week of reading it.....and he'll have forgotten! :lol:

Is he used to SS? Might be an idea to do one which is something easy for him........something he already does iyswim, so he can get the hang of it...

>:D<<'> Will you have an extra pair of hands about for a while, to help you bodyguard DS2 against wollops?!

:notworthy: Thanks Smiley >:D<<'>

He is used to social stories but he's the same he doesn't retain info for very long so I have to use them to constantly remind him usually!

Even though he's 9 we still struggle to retain things like the days of the week! *mind you I never know what day it is half the time...*

SServices have agreed to fund an extra pair of hands from 10-2 each day for the first 14 days he's home from hospital which will be a huge help,as you say another pair of hands and eyes...but we were hoping our boy who already does our respite could do it and he's said Saturday he's at his other job during the week and won't be able to get time off so it'll be a challenge finding someone else just for the fortnight who M will take to...

It'll be an ongoing problem too as he is having growth rods put in rather than the final op so they'll need expanding every 4 months or so :tearful: It's going to be fun!!!!

Hospital is in Middlesex too and we're in Surrey so its a bit of a nightmare all round...we always knew he'd need rods put in but were only expecting the one big op,but as his curve has got so bad they need to use rods to keep him straight now until the big op rather than a body brace.

All this is going on while M is changing school too!!!! I wasn't meant to lead a quiet life lol :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Dee XX

hi Deedee

Don't really have any more suggestions other than the ones you've already had but wishing you all the best, hope you all get through this as stress free as poss.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Great to hear SS will help out :thumbs: can the saturday guy suggest someone to you?? :pray:

Ouchie, ouchie - those ops sound sore >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'>

Remember YOU in all the chaos hun >:D<<'>

I feel a saturday morning shopping spree / quiet coffee n good book / nice swim... coming on! :clap:

Well we are off to hospital on Sunday for the op first thing on Monday morning :tearful:

M is really struggling to cope at the moment,we did manage to get the school swap sorted before they broke up and the new base he is in has so far exceeded my expectations :thumbs: When he goes back he's in a class of 4 with 3 adults! Will fill in all the info on this when I get back...

R is not coping well with the thought of needles and major surgery so its to be expected that M is stressed,and the fact he's never been away from me is not helping.I plan to take plenty of Vodka and chocolate in my case :wine::wine:

Hope it all goes well, mind and tell your lad there's a whole site full of people wishing him well and waiting to hear how it goes!

So not fun for poor old parents when kids go into hospital. I'll be thinking of you all, and wish your son nothing but a full and speedy recovery.

Take care.

Esther x

I hope it all goes well for you all. Its a very scarry time for you all. Im sure your dh has not got the easy option as you have said , he will find out.... Any way best wishes for yourself and your family, let us know how you get on.