Sign in to follow this  
CEJesson

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Hi there,

Does anyone know whether you have to reapply for DSA each year? I am currently reapplying for student finance. I will ring the Disability/Dyslexia support service on Monday but thought I might get a quicker answer here?

Thanks

Chris

Does anyone know whether you have to reapply for DSA each year? I am currently reapplying for student finance. I will ring the Disability/Dyslexia support service on Monday but thought I might get a quicker answer here?

Not as far as I know (and considering my uni is pretty good at doing everything possible to put barriers in my way, you'd think that if I had to they'd be using it - cynical me or what :whistle:). I haven't had to - my AoN report details me needs over the three years, but I'm research council funded postgrad so it may be different.

OK, I had a look on direct gov. You shouldn't have to - there are maximum allowances per year, put these should be continuous (equipment for instance which has been provided isn't re-provided). It just says that if you think your circumstances have changed you can ask for a new Needs Assessment.

Here's the Direct Gov link - maybe one of the downloads will give your answer, but I would hope that if you have to reapply it would be made clear.

Hi Mumble,

Thank you for replying so soon and for the helpful info. I agree with you that DirectGov implies you dont have to re-apply. As said above I shall ring the University DDSS for assistance on Monday.

Another reason why I asked was because the online application for student finance (for continuing students) asks if you wish to apply for disabled students allowance. There is no option or question asking whether you already have support and wish to continue and so on...

Another reason why I asked was because the online application for student finance (for continuing students) asks if you wish to apply for disabled students allowance. There is no option or question asking whether you already have support and wish to continue and so on...

Pass. :lol: I think you'll have to ask your disability office/student finance office. I don't have normal student funding so don't have those forms to fill in, so have no experience as my funding is valid over the duration of my course.

ok thanks, will do :)