Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Confused about T's DX

From the beginning we had a battle on our hands as at 19 months it was clear DS wasn't like the others. So half of his brain is flat so they (or we found the DX) and said he had cerebellar ataxia and they agreed 100% or they said it could be mild CP.

A few years later T starts playing up, is behind with his peers, and starts ticking and swearing, so he gets DX with Tourettes. So I try to find a school with a unit who knows about Tourettes. Then everyone including his teacher says he is Autistic so after two years of fighting I get to see a Professor in the hospital who diagnoses him with ASD, ADHD, TS (later SID).

Now his behavioural therapist who is helping us with him say he is Aspergers not ASD. He does have learning difficulties though, she said it was his social and ADHD problems stopping him from learning as he has had an IQ of 95 plus and tests can be spiky and never the same.

Now I'm confused, as his friend is Aspergers and is totally different to him, his friend is alert, very clever and intense (he has ADHD also)

I am so confused to where his DX lies, can anyone else shed some light on it?

Hi

I've got similar with Z. Her dx is ASD(Aspergers Syndrome). I think there's such a fine line between the 2 that it depends on whether they're on a good or bad day when assessed as to which way the dx goes

Sorry not much help

but you're not alone :wallbash:

Hi.

In practice the difference between an AS Dx and an ASD Dx comes down frequently to the personal view of the professional concerned.

If you search on the Forum there have been lots of debates about the difference between AS and ASD.

I think the important thing is that the ASD bit is recognised and appropriate provision put in place....whether it is labled AS or ASD is mainly just down to the wording.After all AS is an ASD in any case. :) Karen.

Same for me, Went to J`s parents night at his EBD school last night, got the shock of my life, although he is dx with MLD he is up to speed in science, english and MFL, Thats modern foriegn lanuages, this in inspite of him being off school for so long, all of y6, they say they want him re diagnosed but not really sure what difference it would make, have meeting with CAHMS/school/GP tomorrow so will duscuss it then.

Thanks all, it's just important that the DX is right. I'm going to get some books and read up as I'm not handling him very well ATM, and I want to get the know him a little better.