Kala

Hello ~ I am new, too!

Hello everyone,

I run a small social and tutorial club in Surrey together with parents and their lovely children (6-16 years). Apart from that I also work in schools and teach some home-schooled children with an ASD. I enjoy my work with my students and love to exchange ideas with others. Love all your posts!!

Regards,

Kala

Hi Kala,

I'm also in Surrey Heath area and work with special needs kids (when I'm not dealing with my own!!) Would love to hear more about your club.

Stella x

Welcome to the forum. I also work with kids with special needs and some are autistic, as well as having an AS son myself.

Mummy x

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome! This is really a fun forum!

The social and tutorial club that I run is small and we have a lot of fun together. I am close to all the parents and have known some of their children for a number of years. I use B.F. Skinner's Verbal Behaviour approach (a kind of sub-section of ABA~Applied Behaviour Analysis) when working with the children (not all of them are on the autistic spectrum). My aim is that they all reach their fullest potential and get meaningful jobs! One of my students took his GCSE last year (he learnt German in just 18 months ~ I am from Austria....) and this year he has taken his AS exams :) They can do it you know, you just have to believe in them and have a picture in your head of what you want to achieve for the individual child.......and of course fight hard when a teacher gets a little 'funny' :( Unfortunately this means I am not always making friends.........but my students are more important than the noses of those teachers that I have sometimes put out of place!

Regards to you all,

Kala

Hiya kala,

Nice to meet you, I too would like to hear more about your club, I am not far from Stella. My son has been out of school since last Oct and has little if any social contact with other children. We are currently awaiting an assessment at a school for children with aspergers and in the meantime are working with the Children out of school team with a mentor and tutor coming daily.

Clare x x x