CarolineJ

Communication support team coming into school

We've got the communication support team coming into school on the 9th of next month. They want to meet DH and I first. Bim's CPN at CAMHS requested the assessment and school were very reluctant to accept them as they felt the paperwork was a pain, Bim doesn't need them and they wouldn't come out anyway. Well Bim's teacher is surprised they are coming now!

So, DH wants to voice his concerns over Bim's communication with his peers. He's very exaggerated and in their face. It's as though he tries way too hard. I want to see if Bim can get some help with his handwriting. When I mentioned the handwriting concerns to Bim's teacher, she replied "Have you seen mine? hahaha"

Does anyone have any advice for this meeting? The lady will be in school for the whole of the morning.

oh by the sounds of it I don't think this lady will need any help, I think she is going to be forceful in her 'advice' to the school ;) The School have tried to put hem off but they are still coming...says it all, they are not going to listen to the clap trap!

Hi

We had the communication and interactions difficulty team in a few months ago and they were fantastic, I met with a lovely lady and she had a meeting with teacher first, then me on my own and then DD came in and joined us. I made a complete list of all daughters needs and problems and then a seperate list of communication difficulties she has so the lady could take the lot and peruse it at leisure. However, she went through everything with me there and then and gave some good advice to the school and I. Sounds as though you are having a bit of a battle with the school, just stick to your guns, DDs previous school weren't interested at all, came here and hey presto, everything has been sorted and put in place.

Good luck and would love to hear how you get on.

Helen

Just wanted to say we were in a similar situation last year (we're in Northumberland too). Communication support were fantastic for us and really changed things in school for my son. There were lots of things that school were resistant to, refused to do, but communication support ensured that everything was put in place. Good luck,

Sue