Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

Help! How to stop son spitting?

My 5 year old son (High-functioning Autism) has recently started spitting every time he's not getting his own way. He was hitting and kicking before, but I think this is even worse :(

At first he was spitting at me and hubby but now he's moved on to children and teachers at school.

When he's calm , we can explain that it's wrong and he appears to understand (but I'm not convinced), however it makes no difference on the next occasion. He doesn't learn from previous experiences, so it's impossible to get through to him that he musn't do it.

Any ideas as to how we can get the message through ? :wallbash:

Thanks, Nicky xx

Like the hitting and kicking, its probably just a phase!!!! know that dosnt help much but my DS has phases all the time, just when I think I`ve cracked it, I realise he has gone on to another one :wallbash: Enid

Spitting gets such a huge reaction and so hard to ignore if you are the one being spat at. Everytime he gets a reaction the behaviour is reinforced. You have the ideal opportunity to try and nip it in the bud over the school holidays. I know its very difficult but I would try to ignore it. Take yourself out of the firing line if possible and try not to react. It will get worse before it gets better but without the reaction spitting becomes pointless.

Good luck

Thanks, guys, I was thinking it might be best to try and ignore, but as you say it's difficult.

Hopefully it will pass :pray: , and we'll see what he replaces it with!

Just had to go and get DS from school as he's been spitting at teachers and children. HT and TA were really nice about it and said they just didn't see any point in putting him back into class for half an hour. It's the first time I've had to go and get him - I just hope this isn't going to be a regular thing - I'd hate for him to start to get isolated

And now my oldest DS has come home in tears - the school promised younger son would not be in assembly any more as it was too stressful and embarrassed older son. They took him in today anyway, and he ran around making lots of noise and then they took himout again. Older son very embarrassed and upset and said he can't cope any more.

Had a bad week in general, so now I'm feeling a bit :tearful:

Edited by NickyB