Sign in to follow this  
biff

Social Services Assessment

Is this compulsory if your child has an ASD? Someone told me you have to have them come round if your child has an ASD. No one in my family has ever had to have Social Services and I find it a little bit worrying. I feel like I have been under the microscope enough with all the DISCO questions I answered. If it is compulsory then fair do's but for our situation I really don't consider it necessary and find it intrusive.

Well as far as I know its not, you would be lucky to get help if you really wanted it as I do now!!! like you I never gave the ss a seconds thought when my son was dx aged 10, but now he is getting increasingly violent/agressive/difficult I cant get them to answer phone let alone help!! but i think the answer to your question is no, hope this helps!!! Enid

Edited by Enid

Thanks Enid. I have seen enough professionals for the time being, I don't think I could cope with any more at the moment! If he gets more difficult in the future which I have heard can happen with ASD children, then I will give them a call. For the moment we are happy, we have our bad days but we muddle along I just don't want to stress myself out over something which might not be necessary anyway! Thanks again Enid. :thumbs:

my son was diagnosed in jan 2007 , I am still waiting for Social Services to give me this so called "Legal right to an assessment" When i called them recently they were cagey unhelpful and secretive and basically demanded to know where i got their number from. I had been given a leaflet by my local CAHMS centre and the number was on there. I told her i had a leaflet and i had also emailed through the local government website and told them my situation and they had given me this number . I also asked about direct payments .The woman was so rude and unhelpful ....not offering any help or information and basically said i had the wrong number then accused me of being negative ...i said how dare she ..i had rung up following an instruction to ring this number and ask for assessment for my family and she wouldnt tell me anything , choosing instead to be very silent and not forthcoming with anything helpful and i did not have insider information on what every department does. I have heard nothing ..this was 6 weeks ago. It was an ordeal

appalling for a government agency. They could at least be polite and considerate even if they arent going to help, doesnt mean they need to be nasty.

I guess its what minimum wage and cut backs gets you staff wise these days. Its a shame as there are some good social workers out there who care, thats if you could get past the nazis who answer the phones and the bureaucratic money people.