Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

Help me write an e-mail to LEA please.

Short story...

Beginning of February we had a letter informing us that L's Annual Review was being held on 14th February.

14th February, we went along to the meeting, armed with a list of questions/things we wanted to bring up.

In the meeting, we found out that neither the class teacher or the head teacher were able to be present. Bang goes our list of questions.

The deputy head then proceeds to read word for word what was written in their report. The couple of questions we did ask were met with 'I don't really know', 'he's on track to get a level 4 when he leaves' (with a full explanation with chart written on white board of how levels are structured - with 3 children in school I think I know that anyway) (what gets me is how he thinks L would be 'on track for a level 4' when he has only gone up 1 third of a grade in the 2 years he has been there! and as he only has 2 years left...)

His Resi keyworker then said 'lets go over to *house* to discuss our report, and then we'll give you a copy.

We went over there, but we are still waiting for the dicussion - and the report!

5 months later, and many "Have you sent us the report? Have you sent LEA the report?" later, I finally ring the LEA. Not only to find that L has moved 'teams' so has a new "principal special needs officer", but also that the LEA have yet to recieve anything from the school with regards to the Review.

I explained to the lady I spoke to (in the right team) about the above, and how I have lost confidence in the school, not least because of this and the 2 incidents lately (foot-hospital saga, / underwater/lifeguard) where they didn't inform me of them until I contacted them.

She mentioned Parent Partnership. I said that yes, I had heard of them, but that the lady that I was dealing with was very biased towards the schools etc rather than being there for the parents and the child, because, I felt, she was an ex-headteacher. I told her that I had used them for around a year at the beginning of the statementing process, and had gained my views during that year, rather than just from 1 meeting. She accepted that and left the subject.

She then spoke to her boss, and the outcome is that they are going to chase the school for their report, and that we can e-mail in our views.

This is where I need a bit of help from you lot. What should I write? How should I write it?

Thanks!

You could try something along the lines of-

I am writing to you about our concerns about "THE SCHOOL". On several occasions we have tried to discuss various issues concerning us about our sons education. We have made a list of questions to ask the school but they will not listen to any of them.

Our main concerns are-1

Etc

Also mention that following the reveiw neither yourselves or infact the LEA themselves received a report, which you should both have had a copy of.

And in your mind the school doesn't really seem to be helping at all and you are considering alternatives in your sons education

Just hope they don't call yur bluff and ask what alternatives :P

Good Luck