Tally

Hoorah!

I've been worrying how I will cope using the bus once I sell my car.

I have an appointment on 6th August that I would have to get the bus for, but don't have the first clue how to get a bus. It doesn't help that all the buses around here seem to have the same number. I don't understand the bus timetable either. I don't know why. I am not unintelligent, but they just don't seem to make any sense to me.

So I was worried generally, but also specifically about this appointment.

Finally though, the support worker has rung me to tell me the bus times. That is one step, but there are so many other things I don't know how to do about catching a bus,what to say, where to sit, and how to stop teenagers spitting bits of paper at you, etc. Now she is actually coming on the bus to the appointment with me. I was hoping we could do the journey beforehand, so I would know what to do on the day, now I have to worry about the appointment and the bus journey. But it's still a big help and one less thing to worry about, so I am very relieved. It will also mean that I can do the same journey on my own for future appointments.

As it happens, I have not sold the car quite yet, but I am not going to admit that, because they might decide not to help me now, and then not offer me this help in the future. It seems wrong to lie, but I don't think it's a bad thing to do because I am only asking for what I genuinely thought I would need (and will need in the very near future).

Could you do a "trial run" first Tally, maybe with the support worker? I sometimes do that in the car if I dont know where somewhere is & its important I get there on time.

When you get on the bus, tell the driver where you want to go, & he'll tell you how much to pay. Sometimes they do return tickets which is a bit cheaper so you could ask if you dont feel too nervous. If you are not sure where you get off, ask him to tell you. When you get off, you could ask him where you get the bus back from (more than likely the other side of the road). Sit near the front then if you have any trouble you can tell the driver. (All this is from MY experiences of being bullied on school buses when young, not JP!)

And its not really lying about the car as you will be selling it.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

It's not for 2 weeks yet. I am just so happy that I don't have to worry doing the journey on the bus any more.

I've just had even more good news come through the door. A few months ago the water board said they would be turning off the water to do some repairs in the area. Well, now I have the dates, and they are next week, most of which I am away at Autscape! I wasn't too concerned anyway, because I knew I could just drink wine and bathe in milk for the duration. I'm sure they would have understood if I turned up to work half cut and smelling sour :lol: But avoiding it altogether is even better!

When my son was starting college, he worried himself sick about catching a bus.

We had to have a few trial runs before the big day, and on the big day I took the morning off work and followed the bus in my car.

He's brill now though (although he has got lost a few times :huh: ).

Good luck.

Sue

xx

i find with buses what works for me is buying a day ticket and spend a day off on the bus so you can learn what to look for out the window so you know when to push the "stop" button. Also means if you have several buses following different routes to your destination then you can pre-plan the waypoints in your mind. As Pearl says, stay at front of busfor safety and ease of access. Sometimes ive got stuck on trains and buses because i was far from the door and didnt know how to get the people to let me past so missed my stop.