Sign in to follow this  
bluefish

Obsessions

Hi, ds has a fairly new obsession and it is becoming exhausting! he has had other obsessions in the past but nothing like this...... need some advice please

SIGNS! any sign will do but most of all road signs,safety signs and no smoking signs. He has memorised the highway code and points out EVERY sign he sees, all over town he quotes every one he sees, in the car it drives me crazy as he comments on EVERY sign I had never noticed that the world is so very full of signs!!!!!lol My problem is with other obsessions i have been able to limit to some extent the time he spends on the subject,so they have never become this bad.

I cant avoid signs!!!!!! I do try to distract him, and at home this can work as I tell him "Mummy does not want to talk about signs right now" and he will happily sit quietly with his highway code mumbling away to himself. I am also able to limit his time with it and encourage him to look at other books,even if it ends up being a catologe.....

Out and about he comments on every one, wanting to go into shops that have"mind the step"inside, putting up "caution when wet" sign at the pool or supermarket and wanting to stand by it to warn others! Going anywhere on foot has become a nightmare, he notes every sign and becomes hysterical if he can't touch the signs in shop windows.

It sounds funny but any idea how long this might last? anything I can do ? It is hard as you all probably know it does not really give him any pleasure now but seems to "need" to do it...

Anyone else had a simular problem?

Oh, that takes me back!!

DS had an obsesion with 'Give Way' signs around a year ago. He would point out every one, and if we were walking, he'd have to go and touch every one he saw. He'd always have to cross the road by the "Give Way' sign and if anyone else got close to one, he would get hysterical. As you say, it sounds funny but can really have an effect on your day, and can drive you insane :wallbash:

I'm afraid I can't really offer much advice, just buckets of understanding >:D<<'> .

Maybe you could print off a few signs so that he could carry them around when he's outside - it might distract him from wanting to go into every shop and touch all the signs (mind you, it may just make him walk really slowly as he's concentrating on his signs :huh: )

DS lost interest after a while (a couple of months, I think), so I'm hoping that will be the case for you, too.

All I can say is hang on in there :D

Nicky >:D<<'>

Thanks for your reply

we have a "signfile" I have used lots of ink printing off hundeds of signs.........................I hope this fasination does not last too long.. :wallbash: for his birthday he wants his very own "slipery when wet" sign.....................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhh

M too has had this obsession used to sleep with the highway code in bed with him. Very useful as i was learning to drive at the time so he was my revision helper. Some of his other obsessions have not been so hepful the alarm clock one wqas very tiring he carried this massive alarm clock around and would set it for the most awkward times such as 2am. At the moment it is computers IPODS etc we are all tired of hearing the merits of laptops versus PCs.