Tally

Burglar alarms

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a burglar alarm?

I live in a fairly safe area and I think my locks are fairly secure, however I work nights so my house is empty all night long. Anyone watching the house would very quickly work that out. For this reason, I worry about being burgled. If it happened, I know I would be really upset, and I don't have any local friends I could call.

I also fear that the ex might still be accessing the house. Sometimes I find mess that I don't think was there the night before, things move from where I remember leaving them and cans of coke disappear. I don't know if I am just being paranoid and forgetful, but last time I was paranoid about him, it turned out I was right all along. He has gone quiet with the texts and phone calls lately and I feel that it is too good to be true.

Most of my neighbours do not have alarms, and some have single glazing, so I think I am not likely to be the first target for a burglary. However, having an alarm would make it even less likely.

Most of my electricals are second hand cheap junk that doesn't even work properly, although replacing them with second hand cheap junk would not necessarily be possible. I do have contents insurance, but I can't really afford to push my premiums up by making a claim. In fact, my premiums might come down if I had an alarm.

Hi Tally -

Don't see how it could be a bad idea, and you can pick up really cheap 'kits' now that give you a couple of IR sensors and some door contacts...

The biggest catch for you would be the cat(s) - 'cos they could set the sensors off if you give them free access while you're out. You could use all door contacts etc, but that used to be (haven't looked for years) a bit labour intensive etc and needed hard wiring...

Sometimes people just stick a dummy box on the outside wall as a deterent/others think that any sort of box on the outside is like a red rag and actually attracts attention :rolleyes:

Hope that's helpful

:D

you can get the wireless systems for under �200 for a basic one now!!

Consider what your vulnerable points are, eg windows hidden by a wall, etc. usually people put contacts on front and rear doors and either PIR for each room downstairs and maybe if insecure windows specific window contacts. Most modern double glazing is relatively secure as its not just one latch to hold window but a series of latches within the frame.

You can get "pet friendly" PIR sensors these days.

The other option is just setting up your zones of the alarm system. you can have a downstairs zone, perimeter zone etc etc. a lot of people set up a perimeter zone for when inside the home, and a downstairs zone for night time, ie as you go up to bed you set the alarm.

Depending on how worried you are most decent alarms have a phone function or can have it added. you can get police/security links by phone or GSM text services so if the system is activated it texts a number or series of numbers.

Only flaw with the phone links is that the average house burglary only lasts 3-5 minutes so unlikely to get police response in time but useful so at least you can have property secured quick or if on holiday you can get it resecured.

When Planning your security needs you need to consider several key things. Firstly, the threat! then the defences, which are deterrance (visible bell box, shiney new locks, outside lights etc), and defence systems (security locks, alarm systems, CCTV etc).

With threats remember there are several types of burglars, kids/yobs getting kicks, druggies/scum looking for easy goods to sell, professional targeted thieves. Obviously professionals are harder to stop yet your only at risk from them if you have something of considerable value or highly desirable which these days generally tends to be car keys or specific high value goods. yobs and druggies generally want cash and easy sell goods such as phones, playstations, laptops, computers etc etc.

Oh and with the ex im surprised you havent changed the locks yet!! generally standard practise for a separation. Usually they just change the lock barrels so its not complete new locks which would be quite expensive.

Sometimes people just stick a dummy box on the outside wall as a deterent/others think that any sort of box on the outside is like a red rag and actually attracts attention :rolleyes:

These days a bell box wont attract thieves unless its a certain model for a high end alarm system as it indicates something seriously valuable within. Your average "High street" alarm will very unlikely attract such attention. Normal alarms are very common now in big cities.

Visible CCTV is another matter!! CCTV on private houses seems to attract yobs just for kicks!!!

Things where you will attract attention is HUGE visible locks on out buildings/garages as that says to criminals you have valuable tools/cars within. For them you want to try and have hidden locks with just key hole outside or an alarm system which they cant see on the garage.

Did you change the locks when your ex moved out Tally? If you did, & you still think he's accessing the house (or even if you didnt) I'd let the police know.