Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Does anyone home educate?

Hi, does anyone on the forum home educate?

Been to hell and back-yes feelin a wee bit desperate-soz-with school, spent 3 years trying to get them to understand and help DS who just can't cope with no support-we tried to get a statement and failed, mostly because the headteacher attended the tribunal and sais DS was coping fine! He holds it together in school and then has huge violent meltdowns at home.

First day back he was in bits, said he couldnt go -it was too hard.He hasnt been in since.Feel like we've come to the end of the line and will eventually have no choice, been signed off work with stress but need to work to pay the bills! Am I doing the right thing taking him away from the stress? Any advice gratefully received,Maz.

Meeeeee!

Well I think you've done the best thing for him - but I would say that wouldn't I!!!

We've homeedded for 4 years - Glyn (8, HFA) had 2 terms in reception, Tim (9, AS) did reception and year 1 before we deregged.

There's good support from Education Otherwise (google for their website), also they have a special needs forum :

HE-SPECIAL which is excellent.

A good read is "Home educating our autistic spectrum children, paths are made by walking" available from Amazon - each chapter is by a different parent so lots of different experiences.

Be aware a lot of people (family, friends, professionals) may say you're making a big mistake....

Happy to post more if you want. Good idea to find your local group and meet some families. We live in Kent and I was amazed at the number of ASD kids HE'd.

By the way - I really don't want to get anyones back up - I am aware that school can be good for some kids and am not saying HE better for all.

Tessa.

Another successful home edder here :thumbs: . Been home edding now for 10 years. Having lived though a nervous breakdown with my eldest son (AS) and watched my youngest (HFA) spending more time off school ill with Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome than attending, home ed turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread for us as a family.

Tessa has already recommended a really good book to read and also the HE-SP mailing list for support and info here is a link http://www.he-special.org.uk/

It's a life line to many families who home ed their SEN Children. Seriously home ed changed our lives for the better over night.

Anything you want to ask please do :D

Cat

......and another home edder here :)

I have been home edding my son for nearly four years now.

After years of him not getting the help he needed, bullying, me being branded a bad parent etc. etc. we decided to take the plunge and, straight away, it was like a huge weight had been lifted from our shoulders and we haven't looked back since :)

You've been given some good places to start getting more info/support and, like the others have said, if there's anything you want to ask just go ahead.

At the time it seems like a big, scary decision to make but you've got to remember that it's reversible. If you try it and feel that things aren't going well for your son you can talk to your LA about finding him another school place.

Whatever your decision, I hope things start looking up for you soon.

No one knows your child better than, you must do what is right. My son has not been to school for a whole year now and very quickly after he was removed I got my child back rather than the nervous suicidal wreck he had become.

Good luck

Clare x x x

Thanks to everyone who replied, he's definately happier and less stressed, just worried about money really, thanks again >:D<<'> Marion

Hi Marion

We took our Son out two years ago for exactly the same reasons as you and although he still has anxiety problems it has taken a lot of pressure off of him and my only regret is that we didn't take him out sooner! Good luck hope it goes well :)

hello , first post here so a bit nervous... my son was signed off school a year ago, i dont know wether i'd claim to be a home edder as i dont manage to teach him much but it is certainly better for him to be here rather than there

apart from he gets soooooooo bored!

i had to give up my job and had to be signed off with stress too,

i dont think it get easier but i do think you get used to it ... and the bills do get paid somehow :)