Sign in to follow this  
Pippin

Ooooops!!!

Took the kids rabbit in this morning to have her neutered..............or, rather, took her dad in by mistake!!! Just had the vet on the phone complaining that our "female" rabbit looks like a castrated male!!! Poor little thing has now had a general anaesthetic for nothing. I've rebooked and asked the vet to shave his ear so I can tell him apart from his daughter!!!!! (cos I cant tell them apart) . Explaining this to the kids will be fun!!!!! I did ask them to check when I got there cos I wasnt sure I'd got the right one....and the vet nurse said it was a girl...so it's not all my fault.

Hi.I am confused and maybe about to make a fool of myeslf. :blink:

If dad rabbit is castrated and is the only boy rabbit do you need to get anything done with the female ?

I thought baby rabbits would be out of the question. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol: Karen.

A very sensible question!! Any female rabbit which has never had a litter has an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer so its safer to have them "done" even if there is no "available" male. We've not had her mum done cos she (obviously!!) had a litter. Mind you, that was accidental too cos we were assured our original 2 rabbits were both female!! My kids are getting quite a good sex education at present!! :robbie: (appropriate icon!)

oh my... this is funny. The vet should've checked, but I'm guessing he's one of those 'tempermental artistic' types who stands there all gowned up while the nurses bring his subjects to him! I wonder how far he got before he realised the rabbit didn't have the right credentials :lol:

Flo' :D

Well, he's back in with the others now, looking slightly miffed but mostly OK. He's no idea how close he came to being much worse off. At least the vet hadnt wealded her scalpel yet!! :tearful:

He now has a bald ear so I can leave him be when I try again on Thursday!!