caz2007

AS in aduits

Hi all.

i wont to now a bit about as in aduits

what there prolims are and how they thought they had as?

and what help can we get are there any tests we can look up online when the right time to go and see your GP?

:thumbs:

i got some prolims and i had them for years and people family just think it me and i now a lot of them are not just wish i could sort them out and talk about them

thanks

caz

Hi Caz,

It is really difficult to say about AS in adults, because everyone is so different.

The main problem for me is communicating with other people. I don't know how to talk to people. Sometimes people get offended, even when I don't mean to offend them. This leads me to feel anxious, and I have a lot of anxiety in social situations, even though they don't always go wrong. I get very worried and wound up about situations, because I don't know how to resolve them.

Some people have very rigid routines and struggle to make changes. Others have severe sensory issues.

The National Autistic Society might help you work out how to approach your doctor about Asperger's. It can be a very long wait for an assessment, but they might be able to help you get it started. You can phone or email to ask them questions.

Hi Caz, Tally is right. It's hard to sum it all up in one sentence, and we are all different.

Personally, I was only diagnosed a few months ago. I am 24. I categorise things and feel very anxious is something is put out of place. I find it hard to understand what people are saying to me half the time, but I have learnt to cover it up and 'blag it', so my disorder went unnoticed throughout my childhood. I recoil from physical contact. I have been told that I am rude to people, but in my head I'm being as polite as I can. I get obsessed with things and they take over my thoughts and my life.

I have always known that there was something about me that separated me from everyone else. It wasn't until last year that I started looking into it because my 'habits' and differences were really affecting my life. I spoke to my GP and he referred me. I also spoke to the NAS and the people there were very helpful. They filled in all the gaps for me.

It's probably best to seek as much advice as you can, surf the internet and perhaps take a couple of AQ tests. You may find that a GP's opinion won't change anything - you can self-diagnose if it makes you more comfortable.

Good luck Caz and remember there are many of us out there and you are not on your own!

Amy x

i tend more towards the lack of social understanding side. i cannot work out what to do - yesterday i had to ask what were the rules for eating a sandwich in town. i have communication problems but these aren't major compared to my complete inability to deal with the outside world. the normal routine and obsessive things are there too. i also have massive sensory problems with touch, smell and sound (made worse by hearing problems on one side)

i went to my GP with my concerns but they were less than helpful. in the end i got diagnosed through my university sending me to a psychiatrist. my experience with adult diagnosis is that they class AS as a learning difficulty and wont assess if you're not in education anymore, as they claim it would be of no importance to be diagnosed.

I'm in the process of getting an official diagnosis, although I already have a provisional one (so it won't come as a surprise if they do say I have AS). The main problems for me are social, sensory (especially hearing) and obsessions/routines. While having obsessions and routines are calming they do significantly impact on my life and take up a lot of time. :unsure: It isn't all bad and remember that everyone is different. >:D<<'>

i got some prolims ---people family just think it me ----

Well it is you, AS is part of you, you cant get rid of it no matter how many test you do.

What you have to do is accept it and work with who you are.

Knowing will help you compensate for that fact that others see the world different to you. As my son says "It is every one else that has the problem not me"