Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

adults in Basingstoke/North Hampshire

I have fought for 4 years for a service for my son (I wont bore newcomers with the details). He is severely autistic with severe learning difficulties and challenging behaviour.

Our local social service department is piloting Self Directed Support (heres some money find your own support). We are at our wits end and our son is bored stiff and sick to death of us. My social worker is aware of 4 other families in a similar position in Basingstoke but wont give me any contact information. If anyone out there knows who they are could you please ask them to pm me. I feel we would be much stronger as a group rather than individuals which is possibly why SS wont even pass my contact details on with my permission.

I could write a very,very long book about the whole sorry saga.

thanks

Lorry, I live in Tadley. We have been told on numerous occasions that there is no provision in our area for those with ASD from SS. We get assessed and left to deal with it. I have heard nothing of this Self Directed Support (another name for Direct Payments?). Feel free to pm me.

Fi xx

Lorry, would they pass on your details or a letter to the other people?

Writing a letter about your situation to your local paper might be another way of getting these other families to contact you.

Hi Lor >:D<<'>

If you'd like to write a short piece............... & i can get it out to all in north hants area.

There are lots like you in our area, it's a disgrace - and i agree, standing together, you'll shout louder. >:D<<'>

I am trying to get SS involved for my son, who will be leaving college next year. They have now sent me a letter from a Havant office (we are in Alton) and have said "Sorry we don't have any care managers available. We will let you know when we do." We have been trying to get them involved for four years now and this is the closest I have got. They will probably do an assessment eventually and say he does not meet their criteria.

Lorryw do you have a Carers Centre anywhere near you? I know that ours try to patch parents up with each other. They never pass on details but they are willing to contact other parents and ask if they would like to speak to family/ies seeking other families in their situation.

What about Contact a Family?

Also as well as the paper your local Radio Station might just run with this for you they are very good where I live.

Cat