**Mia

From the Inside Out by Donna Williams

Has anyone read Aspergers From the Inside Out by Michael John Carley he is Executive Director of GRASP The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership

An insightful guide to coping with Aspergers

it covers

Navigating relationships, Nurturing Interests and talents, Disclosing your diagnosis, Dealing with family and loved ones, Learning coping mechanisms, Finding work that suits your strenths and talents. Temple Grandin is mentioned as is Donna Williams.

www.grasp.org

Would this be on your recommended reading list.

Enissa

havent read her books but i have met donna williams and she is amazing!! she gives a real insight as to what it is like to live with autism.

I haven't read her books either, but I did have email correspondence with her about some issues to do with my son. Very insightful, and useful. It is very important to know that there is just as much a 'spectrum' of people with ASDs as those without. Not everyone is like Temple Grandin. Donna Williams is just a different part on the rainbow. But I think any information coming from autistic people themselves is worth reading because they are talking about their experience. It makes a change from other professionals telling us 'what they think it might be like'. They can actually tell us what it is like.

I have the books; '' The Jumbled Jigsaw - An insiders Approach to the Treatment of Autistic Spectrum ' fruit Salads' '' by Donna Williams, so far it is proving to be very useful, although my reading of it, is a dip in and read about a subject then leave to ponder exercise, not a read from front to back, take it all in kind of thing. Anyway I tend to read books from back to front, it is the most natural way.

I also have '' Women from another planet ?- Our lives in the universe of autism '' by Jean Kearns Miller, although I have not touched that one yet.

Both books were sent to me by a friend after receiving my psychiatrist confirmation of diagnosis, in a bid to let me understand, the condition is part of my personality, not a condition that can be cured as the NAS seems to think. Learn about it, and accept it, it makes us what we are. My friend is also diagnosed aspergic, but some ten years ago or so, and he has learned about his patterns and compensated for them, but his strength he has developed and in his field of employment expertise, he is very well thought of and successful. His brother is diagnosed autistic not aspergic. So he knows, and is a good person to draw on when things get iffy.

Edited by Sa Skimrande