Sign in to follow this  
Gordie

'Autism: Art and Music' - concert in London, to be performed by musicians on the autistic spectrum - Sunday, October 5th

I got another e-mail from the Autism Research Centre in Cambridge yesterday, advertising free tickets to the concert portion of their forthcoming event, "Autism: Art and Music", involving musicians on the autistic spectrum. So I thought I'd see if any of you that live in the London area (where the concert will be held) were interested. ;)

Just to give you an idea of how much money you'd be saving, the tickets would ordinarily be sold for between �15 and �50. :thumbs:

The e-mail states a deadline for interested parties to e-mail THEM (at freetickets@arc-conference.com) of September 22nd (i.e. this coming Monday), however the front page of their web site would seem to suggest that that deadline's been extended by a week, to the following Monday, September 29th.

Anyway, here's the e-mail ...

Dear James Gordon,

UNIQUE CONCERT BY MUSICIANS WITH AUTISM IN LONDON'S WEST END, HOSTED BY JOOLS HOLLAND: FREE TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE

The Autism Research Centre, University of Cambridge, is holding a fundraising concert at 6pm on Sunday 5th October 2008 at the Savoy Theatre, London (change to advertised venue).

The concert is hosted by Jools Holland and all the musicians have autism or Asperger Syndrome. The performers include Jazz musician Derek Paravicini who has classic autism and and has been blind since birth, who will duet with Jools.

Thanks to the support of HSBC, free tickets to this unique concert are available if you apply now!

Please email freetickets@arc-conference.com with the following details:

* Your name

* Postal address

* Email address

* Telephone number

* How many free tickets you would like (maximum 5 per person)

Deadline for this offer is 22nd September 2008. In your email please indicate if you do not want to be contacted from time to time about similar charitable, autism-related events.

With best wishes

Carrie Allison

Autism Research Centre

I would advise anyone interested NOT to book on-line here, as it would appear you'd have to pay the full price via that route.

I've also added the event to the (rarely-used! :shame:) forum Calendar.

Also, don't forget the art exhibition/sale portion of the event, which takes place the next day, Monday, October 6th, between 1pm and 5pm, at the Institute of Contemporary Arts, in The Mall, also in London. (A small entry fee is payable on the door.)

More details of the whole event are available on this flyer (a PDF file), produced by the Autism Research Centre ...

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc/do...music_flyer.pdf

James

(Mods: Feel free to close [but not delete] this thread any time after September 29th, as free tickets probably won't be available after this date.)

Hi James,

I'm hoping to go to this - have already applied for my free tickets... :thumbs:

Just worth pointing out the change of venue (as stated in the email you quote) - it is at the Savoy Theatre, not the Playhouse Theatre as stated on the ARC flyer :D

Oooh - glad to see a couple of people have taken advantage of this offer! :thumbs: Good to know I haven't wasted my time posting it here. :lol::P

(By the way, Kathryn ended up posting the events on the forum Calendar for me in the end, as it's such a pain in the proverbial for mere mortals to put anything on there! :lol::rolleyes:)

James

I emailed at the beginning of last week (when Smiley yelled at me and told me to email right away!) and I've just got a reply saying they'll be posted to me first class on Wednesday.

Hopefully you'll hear today too :thumbs:

Nikki.

Ahh, got an email tonight saying won't be getting tickets as over subscribed! Fantastic after I had told my ASD child who as we speak is having a temper tantrum! Great management!

Ahh, got an email tonight saying won't be getting tickets as over subscribed! Fantastic after I had told my ASD child who as we speak is having a temper tantrum! Great management!

:o That's not good :( I've only had the email saying they're posting the tickets, so hopefully I'll get them :)

So Smiley, what sparklies are you going to be wearing for your appointment at the Savoy :hypno: :hypno: :lol::P

Thanks for the offer Smiley. I was so annoyed I emailed a complaint pointing out that I wouldnt have told my child if it wasnt certain and this is what I got "'I'm sorry you thought my email was 'off hand'. I didn't intend to cause any offence at all.

It was a simple miscalculation on my part - how many free tickets I had against how many requests we had. As I said, we worked through the requests in a strict date order and I did have to disappoint a few people.

Apologies again for this."

ARC employees should understand autism and this is inadequate as a response.

Well the tickets turned up and so thanks to Smiley we now have too many tickets. If anyone wants to attend please PM me (first come first served)and we can arrange to meet briefly for me to pass them on. If no one responds by Friday midday I will call ARC and tell them that they will be left in the box office so that at least someone can benefit.

I had a great time too, except for the fact I was sat right in front of the loud speaker which wasn't good with some of the louder items.... :oops: I thought Derek Paravicini was absolutely fantastic, I now have jealousy to add to my list of emotions I've experienced as I'd love to be able to play like him :lol: :lol: and I actually cried :tearful: when the girl sang Fields of Gold - my favourite song. Oooh ooh, and I got to wear sparklies :D:hypno:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh madme?? :unsure: Was that you sittin' next to me n nikkismith then?? (i was the one with the blonde, not the pink hair......)

Ohhh, sorry, both nik and i thought you had a DS, not a DD............ :wacko: ............we shouldn't be let out in public :lol: ..............

It was fabby :notworthy:

Yes Smiley. It was us. We used your tickets as ours were in the middle of the stalls( and she does so like to kick the backs of seats not intentionally, of course) and Dd (7 AS) as you may have seen doesnt sit still for long. We gave our tickets to friends. I also have a DS ( who is As 13). Sorry I kept wanting to say hello but I wasnt sure. We really enjoyed it particularly the duet with Jools Holland. Thanks again.