Sign in to follow this  
pleasehelp

Hi Guys-help needed again...

To cut a very long and depressing story short, we may have to move after all the fighting and eventual success getting our LEA to fund an independent residential school place from here-it's named on his current statement but I know a new LEA are meant to reassess within 6 weeks I believe. I am REALLY worried the new LEA won't continue the funding and short of forewarning them and approaching them directly I can't seem to find much info on the policies locally and generally how easy or difficult it is to get such places funded there. Soooo anyone with personal experience or info that they can share with me in this respect please PLEASE PM or mail me to share as soon as you can, thanks.

Hi, how long has your son attended the independant school and would the school be very far from where you may move to? When you move, the old LEA will transfer the statement to the new LEA, it is the new LEA that will become responsible for maintaining the statement (as if they had made it). Within 6 weeks of the date of the transfer the LEA should write telling you the statement has been transferred, whether they propose to make an assessment, when they will review it. The new LEA will have a duty to arrange your son's attendance at the school specified in the statement but may arrange attendance at another school if it is not practicle for him to attend the school in his statement currently. What some LEA's try on is that they have a school in their own borough that can meet the child's needs, but, your son must be in boarding school because he needs it and remember, if his needs have not changed and is setteled where he is, then it could only be to his detriment for the LEA to move him. When you do move it may be worth giving IPSEA a call, they could help you with where you stand and any letters you may have to write to the LEA, their number is 0800 018 4016, Mon-Thur 10-4 and 7-9, Fri 10-1