Sign in to follow this  
julieann

Question for teaching asistants

I am trying to find out if other teaching assistants have come across this problem.When a fixed term contract finishes the school are no longer obliged to offer alternative support work that isn't on your contract.

I have a contract to support two statemented pupils until they leave the school or their statements end.

The statement of one pupil has ended suddenly and there was whole class support available at the school.

Under the new SEN budgeting system I wasn't allowed to be offered the position even though I had been doing whole class support work for a year because my contract states statemented pupil support and not whole class support

I contacted my local authority and they told me this was the new policy under the SEN budgeting system.

Julieann

Edited by julieann

Hun that is awful!

I am a teaching assistant in a secondary school, but we are not on a fixed term contract (thank goodness) we all just support ALL the children including those with a statement (ie No one is individually employed to support an individual child with a statement)

You need to get your rights checked out, try talking to ACAS

I would also meet with the head to find out exactly what the school's position is on this.

Here, Now this is what I have read on the council site, If you have worked as a TA for 2 years or more you are entitled to redundancy pay, but schools are obliged to redeploy you if there is a suitable job, no matter what the terms of your contract.

Here, Now this is what I have read on the council site, If you have worked as a TA for 2 years or more you are entitled to redundancy pay, but schools are obliged to redeploy you if there is a suitable job, no matter what the terms of your contract.

Hi Chris54,

I've tried that one but the local authority say that only applies if you lose your whole post. As I still have a pupil statemented for 10hrs I am not entitled to redundancy.

Julieann

Hi

I am a teaching assistant and in the past I have worked fix term contracts and have not been re-employed even though they have had children who needed support. The school concerned wanted to keep me on but county would not allow it. A fixed term contract is exactly that. You have a start date and a finish date. I do believe if you have worked for your employer for rwo years or more then the status of your contract changes and you should be treated as a permenant employee would be.

I now have a contract that states the number of hours I will be employed and not tied to any specific children. How i work these hours is negotiated between myself and school.

I would get some advice. Do you have free legal help line as part of you home insurance. If you belong to a union they would be able to advise you.

good luck. Let us know how you get on.