Sign in to follow this  
Suze

school records??

Hi , does anyone know how many years after a child has left primary school the school hold on to the childs records for?............is a copy sent to the childs high school aswell??.........I need to access some reports my son had done aged 7 , when he was at primary school.He is 13 and now in year 9.So he left primary 2 yrs ago and I,m wondering who would have copies of these reports, IYSWIM, THANKS SUZEX

Hi Suze

The records should have followed him on to secondary school.

When you leave school, the school holds your records until they are requested by others( your self etc) or until you are 25 at which time they are destroyed.

This information was supplied by Gloucestershire council. Assume other councils have similar arrangements.

My maths teacher told me that school records are held until you are 65 and are sometimes consulted prior to a court case for a serious crime that you will probably be declared guilty.

hiya suze, sorry I only just saw this.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that their records are transferred to the secondary school. Although it is also not unlikely this may not be the case. I know that when kids transfer, the school they are going to are certainly given information.... whether this is through an abridged version of their primary school file, or if it's the actual contents of the file, I don't know. Perhaps the best solution would be to go into the school office and ask them if what you are looking for is still held on your son's file, and if not where will it be.

Hope you get what you need.

Flozziexxxx

I'm a secondary HoY. Records from primary on transfer differ wildly by LEA and feeder school; for some kids we'll only get KS2 SATs results and, if we're lucky, a couple of end of year reports, for others we'll get a more comprehensive portfolio including prior attainment, any behavioural concerns, SEN data, that sort of thing. However primary files seldom resemble the amount of stuff we accumulate in secondary; that might be because they don't keep them, or that they just send the most recent and/or "most important" material.

I'd suspect that for your son the files may be more comprehensive than for other kids due to his needs, though that's no guarantee. A good bet though might be asking the SENCO, as SEN departments often keep their own records away from the main school file.

A useful hint that might help: on the bottom of exclusion letters we have to put something like "You have the right to view your child's full school record on request. An administrative charge, to cover the cost of photocopying, may be levied". So you're completely able to see the whole thing if you wish (though bear in mind much of it may be electronic nowadays).